Dulcetto Gramophone Brand

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Dulcetto Gramophone Brand

Post by poodling around »

I can't seem to find very much at all about the history of this company. I have the impression that Dulcetto existed for at least 20 years ?

Can any-one provide some information about Dulcetto - maybe a link ?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Dulcetto Gramophone Brand

Post by epigramophone »

Dulcetto was a phonograph and gramophone brand name, not a manufacturing company.

According to Christopher Proudfoot's book "Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones" the name was in use as early as c1905 on machines sold by the Phono Exchange of London. In the 1920's the name was applied to the British Polyphon Company's range of gramophones.

This was the first British book of it's kind to cover the subject from a collector's point of view, and although long out of print it is well worth acquiring. Secondhand copies are listed on eBay from time to time. The slightly worn appearance of my copy shows that I refer to it frequently.

Attachments
Image.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: Dulcetto Gramophone Brand

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:38 am Dulcetto was a phonograph and gramophone brand name, not a manufacturing company.

According to Christopher Proudfoot's book "Collecting Phonographs and Gramophones" the name was in use as early as c1905 on machines sold by the Phono Exchange of London. In the 1920's the name was applied to the British Polyphon Company's range of gramophones.

This was the first British book of it's kind to cover the subject from a collector's point of view, and although long out of print it is well worth acquiring. Secondhand copies are listed on eBay from time to time. The slightly worn appearance of my copy shows that I refer to it frequently.

Thank you so very much epigramophone. Very useful information indeed.

Incidentally, I am embarrassed to say that I do actually own a copy of Christopher Proudfoot's book - I just didn't think about looking at it. I will certainly read the section you mention very soon.

Thank you once again.