HMV 88 Problem

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
showgolf
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Showgolf

HMV 88 Problem

Post by showgolf »

Hello from Thailand

I’ve problem of my HMV 88 after I change a power spring build in my country but When I play it. It’s slow and stop on the begin of record and need to wind up to continue playing and It’s play smooth when middle of record to end (see video) I tried to change new needle and record but still have a problem. Please advise.

[YouTube] https://youtu.be/iLEQjxXTe7c[/YouTube]

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: HMV 88 Problem

Post by OrthoFan »

If the new spring is installed correctly with fresh grease, and you have wound the spring all the way, this could be caused by the following:

1 -- worn or damaged needle -- A steel needle should be used to play only one or two sides of a record before it is replaced with a fresh (unused) needle.
2 -- worn record -- Frankly, your gramophone doesn't sound very good, and I can see that there is a lot of groove wear. A worn record can slow the turntable.
3 -- damaged/frozen sound-box (reproducer) -- The reproducer might need a re-build with fresh diaphragm gaskets, etc., along with a careful adjustment of the needle-bar's pivot.
4 -- Sound-box (reproducer) positioned incorrectly -- The reproducer should be positioned so that the needle extends slightly forward. It should not be straight up and down, which it appears to be in the video.
5 -- Other motor parts may need fresh grease or oiling such as the governor's bearings.

Given the condition of the record, I suspect that is what is slowing down the turntable, but if the other record you tested with a new needle is in much better condition, then it's likely due to one of the issues mentioned above.

Hope this helps.

OrthoFan

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Another possibility: I seem to see some damage developing as the record plays. Could this be a vinyl or styrene 78? Those materials are too soft to stand up to the weight of an acoustic reproducer. Testing the machine with a fresh needle, and a shellac 78 in good condition, might produce different results.

- Bill

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I think it probably is a shellac Capitol record, but being a mid to late 50's pressing, the shellac is too soft and the recording too loud to be played in an accoustic machine.
At least that seems to be the case with all my Capitol purple (& red) label Australian pressings.
I can play mine on accoustic machines with 2-4 spring motors, but they do wear very quickly, and none of my single spring motors will play them without slowing down just as it does in the video linked above.

I think if the OP in Thailand tries an older disc in good condition without a run in groove, he'll probably find it will play perfectly.
He may find some later pressing that perform well, but it's hard to recommend any not knowing what's available in Thailand.
Experimenting with different brands from different era's is probably the only way to find out.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

That I was to say when watching the video:
- what needle are you using? It leaves a visible shade on the record grooves as it passes along.. if steel needles, you must use a fresh one for each record side you play. They are designed so the shellac record wears the needle, and at the end of a song it has been grinded to a chisel point that must not be used again, or it will wear the grooves badly.
- steel needles are designed for shellac records. If your record is a late pressing on vinyl or similar it won't play well with steel and will be destroyed. As for the wear observed and the strange shades, I bet it is a plastic record, or you're using a wooden needle, not suitable for these late records... They get burnt as the needle passes along...
- the record seems as impregnated from some substance or liquid, there is a strange bright pattern
- the soundbox angle is too vertical, as if the soundbox has not been turned to its locking position, which would present the needle on the record at a softer angle (60 to 50 degrees)
- do you wind up the machine completely before playing? It seems too easy to you how you wind up the motor at the beginning of the record, seems not completely wound up...
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I didn't think Capitol pressed plastic 78's, although I've only got experience with Australian and British Capitols so they may have in other countries?

I've actually had success playing plastic 78's on accoustic machines by using HMV Trailer needles.
They were designed to play plastic discs using an electric pick up, but they seem to do ok on my 202 as well.

This is a plastic Australian Columbia pressing of Cry by Johnny Ray.
https://youtu.be/mFdYALD4Ygw