Twisty horn EMG Mk IX - So, how bad was it?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Re: Twisty horn EMG Mk IX - So, how bad was it?

Post by drh »

A guess on my part, but if I were a betting man I'd say the mysterious post is probably is the base for a record cleaning device like a Watts Dust Bug (but a like device, not an actual Dust Bug, as all the photos I've seen of those had a different base design).

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

The casting has been freed from the mess of fibreglass and body filler, if anyone wonders what an EMG Mk IX horn casting looks like, here we are
4FAFE51C-87C5-429B-90E4-5AE1E1A9F862.jpeg

dzavracky
Victor IV
Personal Text: college collector

Post by dzavracky »

What a great project.. I am looking forward to see the end result of this. I think it really speaks to the quality of these EMG phonographs, that they can still sound so good even when in terrible shape.

Best of luck!

David

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Now that is better!, back to a slightly more appropriate colour, finished in nitrocellulose lacquer as it was originally.
The extra arm rests removed from the motor board, holes filled and tonearm rest returned to the original position.

Now to finish rebuilding the soundbox, I was hoping for parts to arrive today but they didn't, tomorrow possibly
DSC05687.JPG
DSC05688.JPG
DSC05692.JPG
DSC05699.JPG
DSC05700.JPG
DSC05702.JPG
DSC05693.JPG
DSC05694.JPG

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Having felt so sad for that poor machine previously, this is joyous to see - I feel quite emotional! Congratulations yet again Alex!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Looks majestic, sober, elegant... That simple wooden box hiding inside the marvelous 3d sound! Congratulations!
Inigo

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

Thanks! In person the colour is much more like the first photo, the flash lightens things slightly, but it is a very pleasing shade.

The tonearm was dry as a bone with stiff ball bearings and no grease packed in to prevent air leaks, I remedied that and last night gave it a quick test with a Meltrope II and it really sounds wonderful, I look forward to getting it’s original soundbox back on it

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Top job Alex---well done---looks superb---not overdone---just right. Now enjoy the sound. What a joy ! Did you have to repair the spigot ?

kirtley2012
Victor IV

Post by kirtley2012 »

emgcr wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 3:54 am Top job Alex---well done---looks superb---not overdone---just right. Now enjoy the sound. What a joy ! Did you have to repair the spigot ?
I’ve not touched the spigot from the damaged horn yet, I will have to do something to it eventually I imagine
The spigot on that one is the slightly bent and buckled one that came on my XA but it seems to be working for now

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Such a great result, from a horribly mistreated EMG! So glad it made it into your very capable hands - looking forward to seeing how you do with creating a fiberglass horn using the original casting. I will not have to research nitrocellulose lacquer - my Mark IX has that same finish, but is missing some on the top of the case.