HMV Arm Guidance Needed

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Re: HMV Arm Guidance Needed

Post by gramophone-georg »

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:06 am This has been a very fun thread teo watch--the rebuilt HMV looks great & I'm glad the Victor motor is a bolt-in replacement.

The Orchorsol portable project will also look great--but I checked & Gregg Cline doesn't yet have the Howling Child decal listed. (But what are we gonna do--cry about it?)
You can say THAT again! :P
I will contact Gregg when I am ready and send him the panel if he can reproduce it.
I saved the photos of that Orchosol for future reference.
It's fun having the only Burled Walnut/ Ebony HMV 32 in existence. I had leftover veneer from a Mercedes dash project and one day the voices in my head told me to marry it and the machine. So, like a fool I mixed them, and it strangled up my mind. Now people just get uglier, and I have no sense of time.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

So, I have been dinking with this project off and on as I have had time. Horn is striped, though I still need to affix the decal. I finally got the !@#$%& balls where they belong and have the arm swingin' smooth. The best part is that I think I have this Orchosol soundbox dialed in. I do still plan on replacing the lifebelt even though the one on it "seems" OK- as in my classic car biz, the time to buy parts is when they are available rather than waiting till you need them.

Volume on the Orky peels the skin out of my ear canals on a soft tone needle- and the fidelity is on par with a Credenza with no distortion to speak of whatsoever, so I plan on pursuing the long hyperbolic sound channel project still to get the deeper bass back now that I have TONS of volume to even out the loss! My wife is loading her pistol, so yes, we will sacrifice some volume. I am tempted to try a full tone needle but I may need earplugs!

Speaking of the Orchosol... I understand that the lifebelt is an isolator, but what is the function of the adjusters and springs on the back? Are they used for tracking angle adjustments?
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Hi Georg,
I somehow missed the photo of your machine. It looks stunning:) Congratulations :clover: :geek:
Martin