Swiss motor, what piece is missing

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Swiss motor, what piece is missing

Post by kirtley2012 »

ive Got a Swiss made gramophone which is needing a bit of work, and there’s a couple missing pieces, one of which i believe is on the motor but I can’t think what it would be like, it’s to go with the speed control, has anyone got an example of one who could take a photograph of that part so I can find or make a new one

It’s a Swiss motor, no.6
20E4B527-616D-4121-A215-F9A357A0C959.jpeg
D7D27591-46F5-4D9D-836B-8E732C832031.jpeg
4C7CB726-42F5-4105-A21F-F5F133480A43.jpeg

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Swiss motor, what piece is missing

Post by nostalgia »

I hope someone can help, I have never seen this mechnism myself. The logo of the manufacturer is also new to me, even if it reminds of the Steidinger logo (Germany), it is somewhat different than the Steidinger logo. I don't know if it would help to see more of the motor on photos, maybe someone recognizes parts of it, just a thought...

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've never seen this setup before either, and I've seen a lot of Swiss motors.
I too thought it was the Steidinger logo at first, but it is different to the trademark I've seen.

I also thought maybe a couple more photos might help, perhaps to see how the part attached to the pillar operates against the governor disc.
The speed control part coming through the motor board doesn't appear to be bent and actually looks more like something I'd expect to see in a music box to start and stop.

There seem to be little room for much adjustment of speed, and the arm with the hook is very close to the motor board, which makes me wonder if the missing part was attached to the top side of the motor plate close to the motor board?

Does the machine have a separate brake, or could this speed control have started and stopped the motor via the governor pad and disc?
(Kind of like the push pull operation that combines the brake and speed control on an Edison Gem)

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I think the maker is Mermod Frères. But I have never seen a governor control like that, and cannot help with that from the photos I'm afraid.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

I think the control, or the current remains of it, are not original to the machine. The semi circular slot in the motor board and the arc of "swing" that the control appears to have, do not appear to align. It even appears that the slot has been slightly modified to allow extra clearance for the movement of the control. To me, this suggests that the control is not original. It might help to see what the motor part, that seems to almost interact with the control arm, does.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 9:19 am ive Got a Swiss made gramophone which is needing a bit of work, and there’s a couple missing pieces, one of which i believe is on the motor but I can’t think what it would be like, it’s to go with the speed control, has anyone got an example of one who could take a photograph of that part so I can find or make a new one

It’s a Swiss motor, no.6

20E4B527-616D-4121-A215-F9A357A0C959.jpeg

D7D27591-46F5-4D9D-836B-8E732C832031.jpeg

4C7CB726-42F5-4105-A21F-F5F133480A43.jpeg
I am probably 'sadly mistaken' but I just saw this on ebay.

.................. and I wonder ................. is the part I have drawn the red arrow towards the same part I wonder ? (Two photo' below).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324871400108 ... R8j7xK2fXw
Attachments
thisa.jpg
this3.jpg