nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: My first rear mount gramophone

Post by nostalgia »

Gramtastic, your Mead machine looks also very nice and well built. :clover:

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

nostalgia wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:42 pm ...As I can see from the photo,"Able Seaman Simon" is very gentle to gramophone tops. :)
Indeed, I dare say Able Seaman Simon...
lyric-229w-144h[1].jpg
lyric-229w-144h[1].jpg (19.13 KiB) Viewed 669 times

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Nice-looking machines! Though I don't need another gramophone, I would be tempted were an external horn Victor or HMV machine in mahogany with a wood horn at a reasonable price.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

kirtley2012 wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:29 pm Despite having collected over 10 years and having a number of EMG’s, I have some how never came upon a traditional rear mount gramophone, so a couple days ago I saw this pop up about 20 miles away on Facebook marketplace for not a lot of money, and I jumped on it.

It’s branded ‘Mead’ in Birmingham, of course it’s a typical Swiss made machine though, I’m not sure of age on these things, I guessed around 1910-15, the horn is very attractive, I’m not sure if it would have originally been white, but I like it as it is, and the rest of the gramophone is very nice cosmetically.

Mechanically it needs some work, it needs a new brake and soundbox, I could probably fix the winding handle though it may be easier to find a replacement, and I need to re-make a missing part on the motor, but in the meantime, it’s looking very nice in the living room

Alex, your machine appears to have the same two piece winding handle as mine.
Turning it anticlockwise unscrews the outer section but leaves the inner section place, preventing access to the motor.
Have you discovered how to remove it, as I am struggling with mine.

Roger.

UPDATE : I sent Alex a PM and his suggestion proved to be correct. It was stuck and needed some force to release it.