The things we do for gramophones!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

The things we do for gramophones!

Post by kirtley2012 »

A couple of weeks ago a dream came true and after about 10 years wanting one, I finally got the gramophone I’d been lusting after, an EMG XB oversize, this one is an EMGCR, the product of the colossal project undertaken by Graham Rankin to remanufacture 12 oversize gramophone horns in fibreglass rather than the original paper appliqué, and produce a series of 12 gramophones incorporating original EMG bases (aside from 3 HMV lumiere case examples), this one is 11/12.
The base on this one is an Emg Mk X, the very rare early model with the structurally flawed horn, as a result many Mk X’s had their horns droop and snap, which is likely the fate this base suffered somewhere along the line, now upgraded to Xb Oversize spec, it sounds better than ever.
The aluminium Mk Xb horn casting on this particular one is original EMG, it was found by
Frank James unusually missing its paper bell, The casting was used as a template by Graham for producing new castings for the other horns, before this one was given an oversize bell of its own.
I will attach a small time lapse video I took of bringing the great horn into my small house, with a final mouth diameter of 33 ½” the doors were off limits!

I am slowly fitting my music room around it, the things we do for gramophones, eh?!

https://youtu.be/cDT1v28sxPM
image.jpg
image.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: The things we do for gramophones!

Post by Inigo »

Congratulations!
Inigo

IainW
Victor O

Post by IainW »

Well done Alex, where there is a will there's a way.
Looking at the second photo the top of the horn looks quite close to the ceiling. I guess actually fitting the horn into the base must have been a delicate operation. When played in a room that size assume you are completely immersed in sound.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In extreme cases it may be necessary to improvise some form of volume control :
Attachments
IMG_2783.JPG

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Terrific fun Alex, thanks for recording the event! And a top record as the soundtrack!

I know very well how great the large EMGs can sound in a small room, from my last house - a brace of Xbs at the time, not yet an Oversize - supremely enveloping, but surprisingly not overwhelming, except with occasional very loud records. Enjoy! (As if there's any need to say that...😂)
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

Alex, why didn't you simply pass the horn "over" the outside door, (use some packing blankets too if needed) surely it would have been light enough to do that; maybe with a couple of more guys if needed _ better then slicing up you garden door ?
Or get permission to use the neighbors gate, it look wide enough to get the edge through and angle it in.

But then again, you're only 24 so you're a little green I guess. :lol:
Last edited by JeffR1 on Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Post by kirtley2012 »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:59 pm Alex, why didn't you simply pass the horn "over" the outside door, (use some packing blankets too if needed) surely it would have been lite enough to do that; maybe with a couple of more guys if needed _ better then slicing up you garden door ?

But then again, you're only 24 so you're a little green. :lol:
They're not light, awkward to move and hugely expensive, I'd have rather not risked it, nothing green over here

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

kirtley2012 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:01 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:59 pm Alex, why didn't you simply pass the horn "over" the outside door, (use some packing blankets too if needed) surely it would have been lite enough to do that; maybe with a couple of more guys if needed _ better then slicing up you garden door ?

But then again, you're only 24 so you're a little green. :lol:
They're not light, awkward to move and hugely expensive, I'd have rather not risked it, nothing green over here
I suppose so, I used to deliver furniture for a living so...

Neat machine BTW.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

kirtley2012 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:01 pm They're not light, awkward to move and hugely expensive
That's for sure...
kirtley2012 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 2:01 pm nothing green over here
That's also for sure, a seasoned and multi-talented pro already!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

This is ridiculous, if you didn't want to lift it over your garden gate Alex, then use the neighbors gate and maneuver the edge through first, rest it on the edge of the small fence the way you did on your window sill with the rubber matt _ you're through.
Maybe you and you neighbor don't get along or he was afraid of liability ???

I think there would have even been enough room to ease it in at angle once an edge got through, there was plenty of room in the alley to do that.
The worst thing that would have happened is that it would have not fit that way, you would not have damaged anything.
Carrying it straight through like you did made no sense.

This makes me think of Sesame Street when I was a kid.
There were these two guys trying to get a 2x4 through the door, rather then carrying it through length wise, they cut two gaping holes on either side of the door jamb to get it through.
The idea of the exercise back then was to get the kids to give instructions to somebody.