The things we do for gramophones!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
kirtley2012
Victor IV
Personal Text: Buyer of broken things

Re: The things we do for gramophones!

Post by kirtley2012 »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 pm This is ridiculous, if you didn't want to lift it over your garden gate Alex, then use the neighbors gate and maneuver the edge through first, rest it on the edge of the small fence the way you did on your window sill with the rubber matt _ you're through.
Maybe you and you neighbor don't get along or he was afraid of liability ???

I think there would have even been enough room to ease it in at angle once an edge got through, there was plenty of room in the alley to do that.
The worst thing that would have happened is that it would have not fit that way, you would not have damaged anything.
Carrying it straight through like you did made no sense.

This makes me think of Sesame Street when I was a kid.
There were these two guys trying to get a 2x4 through the door, rather then carrying it through length wise, they cut two gaping holes on either side of the door jamb to get it through.
The idea of the exercise back then was to get the kids to give instructions to somebody.
I see where you're coming from, but the side gate was due to be town down anyhow, under the layers of paint it had quite severe wood rot, and was to be replaced along with several other house works happening over the last and next month, the next door neighbor very much keeps himself to himself and I can rarely get in touch with him so since it had to come down anyway, I just took the saw to it and it meant we could go straight through with it for ease, the bottom section I kept only for something for the door to close against in the following few days

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

kirtley2012 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:10 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:56 pm This is ridiculous, if you didn't want to lift it over your garden gate Alex, then use the neighbors gate and maneuver the edge through first, rest it on the edge of the small fence the way you did on your window sill with the rubber matt _ you're through.
Maybe you and you neighbor don't get along or he was afraid of liability ???

I think there would have even been enough room to ease it in at angle once an edge got through, there was plenty of room in the alley to do that.
The worst thing that would have happened is that it would have not fit that way, you would not have damaged anything.
Carrying it straight through like you did made no sense.

This makes me think of Sesame Street when I was a kid.
There were these two guys trying to get a 2x4 through the door, rather then carrying it through length wise, they cut two gaping holes on either side of the door jamb to get it through.
The idea of the exercise back then was to get the kids to give instructions to somebody.
I see where you're coming from, but the side gate was due to be town down anyhow, under the layers of paint it had quite severe wood rot, and was to be replaced along with several other house works happening over the last and next month, the next door neighbor very much keeps himself to himself and I can rarely get in touch with him so since it had to come down anyway, I just took the saw to it and it meant we could go straight through with it for ease, the bottom section I kept only for something for the door to close against in the following few days
Why didn't you just say that in the first place, I was getting worried about you...? :shock:
Time to get to know your neighbour, if I'm being too presumptions, make him a plate of nice cookies or something.

AZ*
Victor IV

Post by AZ* »

Alex,

Congratulations on your acquisition. Enjoy it! (I am sure you will.) :rose:
Best regards ... AZ*

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations, Alex :clover:
What a wonderful machine. This is the kind of machine I will never find in my area of Europe, since they never were imported here.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Congratulations, Alex, especially for getting the horn inside your room, quite impressive job and entertaining video! As you are aware, I reached my limit in terms of premium space, and moreover a machine like that would have to sit in the garage, as it would not pass neither door nor windows of my gramophone salon.

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Heartiest congratulations, Alex! An amazing machine, to be sure, and one without equal in terms of acoustic reproduction. I loved the video - worth the effort, I think, and it looks splendid in its new home. Cheers!

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

I'm so glad that this outstanding machine is in your hands, Alex. I know you will enjoy it as it deserves.

When it comes to collecting, usually the richer wins hands down, full stop. But at least on this forum, most of the times I get the impression that the right machine comes in the hands of the right man, each truly deserving each other. :coffee:

Frankia
Victor I

Post by Frankia »

Hello Alex,
I haven't been on this forum in many many months and so hadn't seen your thread. The gramophone fits so completely naturally into that corner! And it's so good to have the unique original EMG horn base, unlike anyone else! Having been playing my own EMGCR for the last three days off and on, I know that it's superfluous to say that you'll love your EMGCR for the rest of your life. I will have mine twelve years next month and it's as enjoyable today as it was the first day - more so actually because I've sorted out the glitches in the surrounding acoustical areas.
You have your place in the Book of Records as the youngest EMGCR owner on the planet! More power to you! And I enjoy the quirky way you got it in!