Colonial HMV ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Colonial HMV ?

Post by Steve »

I have a suspicion that Chunnys machine was originally made as a 102 by the sub-contractor supplier of Teak cabinets but for whatever reason a retailer requisitioned a non HMV spec'd machine for a customer and they built in a different machine inside that cabinet, hence why there is no winding handle clip in the lid etc and the different motor winding position.

Later on someone's tried to "restore" it with an ill fitting standard 102 set of innards. I could be wrong but.....

I believe Chunny's machine had a Swiss motor and hardware originally but it obviously was never badged up as an HMV as I have seen some others done with non standard parts.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

CarlosV wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:43 am and one thing I learned is not to dismiss machines as forgeries only because they do not look exactly like the most common ones.
So very very true.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Attachments
102 lookalike.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Well spotted. The case is almost identical except for the needle pocket and hardware. It even has the teak veneer lid.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

chunnybh wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:12 pm Well spotted. The case is almost identical except for the needle pocket and hardware. It even has the teak veneer lid.
They all have a teak veneer lid, surely?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Wow £60. Someone got a steal. I wish I'd seen that.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

They all have a teak veneer lid, surely?
I missed the bidding by 10 min. Ouch!
I mean the large grain teak veneer that looks like everything in the 70's was made from rather than the tight light grain teak on the solid teak side panels. It's what made me think the case was fake. This one turning up shows that that is how some of them were made, perhaps unbranded for the local market.