Colonial HMV ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Colonial HMV ?

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:46 pm I am quite certain, this is just an indian homemade machine. No needle corner and the way the joints are fabricated (the „dovetailing“) (just the prime giveaways ) do not point to a real dum-dum product. A certain eBay seller (house_of_antiques2017?) is selling such machines quite regularly. They are certainly Indian but sadly not hmv.
I am quite certain you are incorrect. Chunnys machine is not home-made. As I said previously some Indian machines omit the needle drawer. As for the question about other examples looking similar and faked, I think you have to realise that they used sub-contractors from time to time to supply the cabinets. Some are slightly better made than others but I haven't seen anything for sale which hasn't been a genuine period example of a colonial portable if its teak and of this style. Have you? If so please can you provide links?

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 pm On closer inspection there is all sorts of wrong. Missing holes for the crank holder, and tungsten needleholder, the wrong metal parts for the leather handle, the inside horn should be lackered brown on the inside, the lid stay of course , etc.
Not all colonial models were "lacquered brown" on the horn. Some were black, white, green or red. The handle metal parts are typical post war supplies, nothing wrong or strange about that.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

The black internal horn is right, because it is an integral part of the 102 motor board that has been fitted. (or rather NOT fitted)! Steve is right, the handle ends are of a type found on many 102s.

Barry

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:33 am
Not all colonial models were "lacquered brown" on the horn. Some were black, white, green or red. The handle metal parts are typical post war supplies, nothing wrong or strange about that.
Steve is correct, also for me this is a genuine machine which was re-motored and had a new plinth replacing the original one. As to colors, who had seen or heard of a green machine until the one I posted showed up? Some time ago, Steve posted a unique and quite interesting machine with an oil bath motor (!) that nobody this side of Goa had seen the likes before. There is a lot to discover about the colonial HMVs, and one thing I learned is not to dismiss machines as forgeries only because they do not look exactly like the most common ones.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

The fact alone, that there is no hardwear what so ever in the lid is all the evidence there needs to be. I own every colonial portable there is except the early pa. They may be quirky, but they are quality. A machine without the handle storage is just absurd.

Edit: also, are we ignoring the fact, that the case is to big for the fitted 102 Interieur? There is clearly a huge gap on the right side.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Whatever this machine was originally we may never know, but if it was based on the 101 portable, there would have been no hardware in the lid, the handle clips and needle tin clip were all mounted on the motor board. With the greatest respect, how do you know you have every Colonial model? Given that we know very little about these, there may well be quite a few that you don't have!

Barry

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

With every model I wanted to say, the 100, the 100 deep case, the 101, the 112, the 102, the 114, the 118.

There is a teak model of the early PAs i dont own (not been able to aquire) , as well as the 98 (no interest), and the 113 ( i have a much more substantial teak 130 version).

Those are the HMV colonial port. models. All i am pointing at is that i am quite certain, there is no way, this thing ever got a factory sn tag from hmv. There is just so much wrong with it.

To Steves comment. I have seen maybe 10 teak portables in that case style, mostly with swiss inerts. Periode, but not hmv. Sadly no links, because I dont tend to save non hmv models. I spend most of my time searching for colonial models, this is the niche i am interested in. On the other hand I would be most interested in seeing a genuine hmv without the needle storage.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

The HMVs with Swiss parts are also completely genuine. Going back about 15 years ago the Late "Colonel" had a few and I was lucky enough to see them myself. We took one apart and it was quite obviously a) a genuine period machine (not new, faked or of recent assembly) and b) an authorised HMV instrument designed for the colonial market.

I also have teak 100s, 101, 112, 113, 114 as well as the rarest Colonial model made, the one Carlos referred to.

There are many other rare colonial models to be discovered. I've recently bought a teak 101 with side winding motor, not the typical front winding configuration. It has a solid lid too, not a panel type. Some people thought this was fake. It is not, its completely original and came from House Of Antiques. Its a pity it arrived smashed to smithereens otherwise I'd post a photo of it. I'm debating whether to restore it but I'm concerned it'll be written off as a modern fake if it ends up looking too new.
Last edited by Steve on Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

As a matter of fact, a also own one of those 101s. :D

But to the subject matter, it may have been some 101 102 Factory original machine, but I absolutely doubt it. (Just my 2 (euro)cents).
Attachments
BDF03A8B-56FE-457A-9B3C-662BA3666BAE.jpeg

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Teak wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:33 pm As a matter of fact, a also own one of those 101s. :D

But to the subject matter, it may have been some 101 102 Factory original machine, but I absolutely doubt it. (Just my 2 (euro)cents).
Your 101 is a complete fake.........just joking! ;) :lol: