Colonial HMV ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Colonial HMV ?

Post by chunnybh »

Thanks Carlos,
What an amazing green colour, very nice indeed.
On this one, the finish on the sides looks original so I don't believe it was ever painted. It's 6.5in deep so "not deep enough to house a No.32 motor" but it obviously has been re-motored.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

chunnybh wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 7:59 am It's 6.5in deep so "not deep enough to house a No.32 motor"
The base of my 114, which also has a No.32 motor is 6.5" deep.

Barry

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A standard 102 case is 6.5 inches deep, including the lid when closed. Not deep enough for a No.32 motor.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Ah, my mistake, I thought Chunny was saying the side of the base wasn't deep enough to take the 32 motor. So, if whole case is only 6.5" deep, and the winding handle was inserted horizontally, I wonder what motor was fitted, and what model was the machine originally?

Barry

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

It's all rather odd , it is clearly a colonial box with the dark bands and clearly the 102 turntable base has ben inserted as can be seen by the inserted fillets on both sides incuding where the lid stay would have been , the lid stay is a reverse 101 type so presumably it would have had a 69 type motor , but the hole is odd as well as there doesn't appear to be any ferrule screw holes , a :D real puzzle

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

On further inspection, I believe the teak top is original too, how odd is that. The seams and black banding are consistent with no signs the lid is a replacement.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Just clutching at straws, but is there any evidence that the base has been replaced? I'm thinking that the case may have originally been deeper, so that a No.32 motor could have been fitted.

Barry

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

I am quite certain, this is just an indian homemade machine. No needle corner and the way the joints are fabricated (the „dovetailing“) (just the prime giveaways ) do not point to a real dum-dum product. A certain eBay seller (house_of_antiques2017?) is selling such machines quite regularly. They are certainly Indian but sadly not hmv.

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

I'm thinking that the case may have originally been deeper, so that a No.32 motor could have been fitted.
Hi Barry,
No sign that the base has been cut down. The bottom panel is a mess but looks original too. This is in Australia so perhaps there were Australian versions too. I don't get the banding. It would have been a lot more veneer work which is done by hand.

Teak
Victor II

Post by Teak »

On closer inspection there is all sorts of wrong. Missing holes for the crank holder, and tungsten needleholder, the wrong metal parts for the leather handle, the inside horn should be lackered brown on the inside, the lid stay of course , etc.