Colonial HMV ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Colonial HMV ?

Post by chunnybh »

Hello All,
I recently bought this on ebay. Is it a colonial HMV?
It's like no other colonial HMV that I know off.
The side veneer looks original. The lid seems to have been re-laminated a while ago but in really thick 70's style teak veneer. The metal corners look original but I haven't seen these on a colonial before.
There is no needle pocket. The motorboard has lost all it's veneer so there are no logos or name plates. The motorboard is too small to fit correctly. The soundbox is an Indian "Made in Gt.Britain" HMV5b with a Columbia style chrome face like found on some Indian soundboxes.
Attachments
6.jpg
5.jpg
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Colonial HMV ?

Post by CarlosV »

Hello Chunny
I have a colonial with the same pattern, but its original paint is in green, with the black stripes. Maybe yours started its life that way, and was altered to what it looks today.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I have a colonial with the same pattern, but its original paint is in green, with the black stripes.
I'd love to see pics please.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

It looks as though this was originally a Colonial version of the 102, with a double spring No.32 motor ( see the original winding hole just above the carrying handle). The whole motor board has been replaced with what appears to be one from a standard British 102, minus the autobrake, but fitted with a Garrard handbrake, and a new very crude escutcheon slot cut into the side of the case. The front mask on the soundbox is a Columbia (as fitted to the Columbia 206), but why no corner needle tray?

Barry

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

:)
chunnybh wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:05 am I'd love to see pics please.
Here they are. Not identical, but similar. Mine is a model 114, with the larger 32 motor and the deep case .
Attachments
20211115_140852.jpg
20211115_140754.jpg
20211115_140734.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Like many Indian machines, this one has had a hard life and some "make do and mend" repairs.
It looks like a Tropical Teak 102 case. Mine is 6.5 inches high, not deep enough to house a No.32 motor.
I too have never seen one without a corner needle tray.
The 114, a double spring version of the 102, measures about 9 inches high.
Both were available in polished wood with black embossed lines, and both had metal case corners.

Roger.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Hello Carlos, I hope you're doing well! I see that in the end you decided to leave those scratches untouched, on your green colonial...

Yours Sincerely, Marco.

CarlosV wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:13 am :)
chunnybh wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:05 am I'd love to see pics please.
Here they are. Not identical, but similar. Mine is a model 114, with the larger 32 motor and the deep case .

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Phono48 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 4:46 am It looks as though this was originally a Colonial version of the 102, with a double spring No.32 motor ( see the original winding hole just above the carrying handle). The whole motor board has been replaced with what appears to be one from a standard British 102, minus the autobrake, but fitted with a Garrard handbrake, and a new very crude escutcheon slot cut into the side of the case. The front mask on the soundbox is a Columbia (as fitted to the Columbia 206), but why no corner needle tray?

Barry
Quite right, Barry. I'd agree 100% with your assessment here but I'd simply add that the colonial models didn't all have needle trays.

I have the 114 in dark polished teak with the ebonised bandings running around the case.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:53 am Hello Carlos, I hope you're doing well! I see that in the end you decided to leave those scratches untouched, on your green colonial...

Yours Sincerely, Marco.
Ciao Marco! Yes, I left it untouched, as we discussed, a touch-up would probably end up looking worse than it is. With time I got used to it, and barely notice these flaws now, just like when I look in the mirror.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:51 am
Marco Gilardetti wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 8:53 am Hello Carlos, I hope you're doing well! I see that in the end you decided to leave those scratches untouched, on your green colonial...

Yours Sincerely, Marco.
Ciao Marco! Yes, I left it untouched, as we discussed, a touch-up would probably end up looking worse than it is. With time I got used to it, and barely notice these flaws now, just like when I look in the mirror.
:lol: I can relate to this comment, Carlos! ;)