Mikiphone Replacement Spring

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
leels1
Victor I

Mikiphone Replacement Spring

Post by leels1 »

Hi, does anyone know where I can get a replacement spring for a European Mikiphone? The one I have is very weak despite a full service on it and the records just slows once the soundbox is on.

I believe it’s 18mm high, but not sure of the thickness.

I’ve seen some clock springs on eBay that might do the trick but could be a bit short as they’re for a 45mm barrel and the Miki is 50mm.

Also there are varying thickness springs, seeing as I’ve put mine back and can’t measure, anyone know if a too thick one will cause problems? Assuming too thin and there won’t be enough power.

Thanks.

Dave D
Victor IV

Re: Mikiphone Replacement Spring

Post by Dave D »

The strength of a mainspring increases exponentially with the thickness. It is best if you take yours apart and measure the thickness properly.
Dave D

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Dave D wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:46 am The strength of a mainspring increases exponentially with the thickness. It is best if you take yours apart and measure the thickness properly.
Dave D
Why not, I’ve already had it apart about 10 times, one more isn’t going to hurt :o

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

I’m assuming it’s a weak spring at least, it’s been apart, serviced, oiled, greased etc.

These camera phone types always seem “weak” and hard to see up properly.

Is there anything special with these I should be aware of?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

leels1 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:49 pm I’m assuming it’s a weak spring at least, it’s been apart, serviced, oiled, greased etc.

Mine has the same issue. It used to play a record until some years ago, but now it starts to slow down almost from the start. I did not try to replace springs, as its sound is horrible and I only play it to show to visitors as a curiosity anyway.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

CarlosV wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:02 pm
leels1 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:49 pm I’m assuming it’s a weak spring at least, it’s been apart, serviced, oiled, greased etc.

Mine has the same issue. It used to play a record until some years ago, but now it starts to slow down almost from the start. I did not try to replace springs, as its sound is horrible and I only play it to show to visitors as a curiosity anyway.
I think all these types of machine have the same issue. The spring is so small, and it has to drive a relatively big force of the heavy soundbox on the record it wears out quickly.

They seem to have been fitted with clock springs that ordinarily power very little!

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

Dave D wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:46 am The strength of a mainspring increases exponentially with the thickness. It is best if you take yours apart and measure the thickness properly.
Dave D
Hi Dave, it’s 0.35mm thick, but springs I found are for a 40mm barrel and this is 50mm.

Would you go thicker to account for the shorter length, or stick as close to the original and hope it being shorter will make it though a full 10” record?