Japanese Mikky Phone - Help!

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
leels1
Victor I

Japanese Mikky Phone - Help!

Post by leels1 »

Hi, i have a Mikky Phone that has a dodgy stop-start, in as much as it doesn't work and was hoping someone may have a similar one who can give some advice on how to set it up.

The pics attached show what I have. I think, that when the arm that holds the soundbox is either fully open, or fully closed, it should not play at all, and only let the motor spin when it's in the half way position between open and closed.

There is a lever on the underside (the L-shaped one) that moves when this arm is moved and I think should stop the speed regulator moving in some way but I can't tell how. The little pin acts as a lever to move the arm and engage/ disengage it to something on the speed regulator (but not sure what). It's almost backwards, and the L is on the wrong side of the speed regulator which leads me to think that it's bent massively out of shape.

Would anyone be so kind as to share some pics of their motor to show me how it should properly engage please? I don't want to do too much bending in case I weaken the arm and it snaps! Thanks!
Attachments
Antique-Mikkyphone-Portable-Music-Phonograph-Gramophone-Turntable-Record.jpg
Antique-Mikkyphone-Portable-Music-Phonograph-Gramophone-Turntable-Record.jpg (20.01 KiB) Viewed 689 times
269962850_10166366455680422_585444980239858641_n.jpg
269947550_10166366455670422_8856940249829456024_n.jpg

phonodesbois
Victor II

Re: Japanese Mikky Phone - Help!

Post by phonodesbois »

Hello, our Mikky phone is incomplete (no crank, no turntable and no reproducer) but the motor is complete and I think we found your issue.
On the governor wheel, there is a little wire which will stop the motor either when the arm is fully deployed or folded.
I have the impression that the part moving when you turn the arm is bended but I think that it will be easier to understand on the attached pics.
Good luck and merry Christmas!
Jeff
Attachments
motor a.jpg
motor a.jpg (33.88 KiB) Viewed 657 times
motor b.jpg

leels1
Victor I

Re: Japanese Mikky Phone - Help!

Post by leels1 »

Hi Jeff,

You were right! Someone highlighted this on a Facebook group.

It was bent all out of shape, and the wire that sticks out was broken off. I managed to re-bend the wire and set it up. It’s working great now and stops and starts just as it should.

Thank you for your reply, that was most helpful!

Merry Christmas, Lee