Post by JerryVan »

Nostalgia,

Have you played this yet????

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: Santa came late this year, with a HMV 163

Post by nostalgia »

Jerry, your post made me start the machine, for the first time !!
Somehow, I guess I have felt there could be a problem somewhere, things had been running too well. Finding the machine itself, carrying it indoors with no problems, finding the motor had recently been overhauled and greased, no ugly marks found on the cabinet.
I picked an expensive record received in the post last week, a total of £ 55 paid for that record, including taxes, and postage sent from the UK. I have bought a few expensive records lately, I don't have a habit or wallett for doing that too often, but when the exact records i have been looking for turned up during a few weeks, I could not resist. I thought this record was perfect for the first test of the machine :)
So..where is the problem, because .."Houston...we have a problem". Not big, but it is again THE AUTOSTOP! Of course it had to be the autostop, the only part of the HMV machinery I never have come to terms with (yet). I had a short look at it now, and can't really remember what autobrake it is, but I will check that out in "The Book" tomorrow. I will hopefully be able to fix it, if not I will ask for help. I may very well do, if it is not an autobrake I have on another machine.
The record, also has a problem, I don't know if it only needs cleaning, or not.

The speed indicator is not rigthly adjusted, I can see that now. The person having serviced the machine, did not take that into consideration, or did not know how to do it, along with possibly...the adjustment of the autobrake.

BUT hey, most important of all, what a wonderful sound this machine creates. No doubt, "I am falling in love again" :rose:
Here you can see and listen yourself, if you want: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJoyBVbak9A

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Wonderful! In spite of the problems that I know you'll overcome, I'm very pleased to have inspired you to play it! :)

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Very nice. It will be your daily use machine. It should, as it is much better than any other, except bigger hmv reentrants or the EMG/Expert line. But it surpasses some of the earlier and smaller EMGs!
In 1927 when HMV reentrants were launched, they were the best in the market, absolutely!
I have a 194 since 15 years ago or so, yet it still surprises me each time I play it, that full, big and warm sound...
You should try it with Bamboo needles or the BCNs...
Inigo

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

In this videoclip I have tried to explain at my best how this type of autobrake works and can be (to some extent) adjusted, you may find it of some help:

Autobrake chatter N°2: HMV type 3 gramophone automatic brake.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Marco, I remember this wonderful video clip now. I did not yesterday evening remember we talked about this same autobrake, that you also have on your HMV 163. It will be of help, I hope to be able to make it work. And you have the HMV 194 Inigo, a wonderful and even bigger re entrant :) Thank you both for all advice....and Jerry, thank you much for the greeting:)

the padre304
Victor Jr

Post by the padre304 »

I live in the middle of America. I sold my Victor Credenza once I got my HMV 163 in oak. It is may favorite machine. I did replace the 5A sound box both with a nickeled brass Victor Orthophonic sound box for instrumental music and I use a late RCA Victor pot metal "Orthophonic" reproducer for vocals. There is evidence that it one time had a dealer tag. The autobrake on it works half the time. But I will keep it till I die.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

ON my 194, I replaced the auto brake for an older style with the U fork that you preset before playng. This brake is touched by the tonearm finger only at the point you've set at the end of a record. This I did because there is a small drag on the tonearm during playing, which is small, but the delicate bamboo needles notice it. I prefer the U style because there is no drag across the record.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I know this may sound crazy....but the week after I bought the HMV 163, I found a 157 ( even if I already have a 157 in my sleeping room), at a very good price. I drove out ( again) in heavy snow, driving 200 km on icy narrow roads to get it home, and carried it alone from the car in the middle of the night into the house, and my saturated living room. :mrgreen: If I am not able to make the auto stop on the 163 work properly, I will swap, and put the auto stop on the 157 into the 163. I also have two 156 standing around, I don't really remember if they also have this same auto stop. I realize I luckily have a few of these auto stops, so the 163 will run soon. :ugeek:
I know...I am turning obsessive, but I am not alone, at least I don't think/hope so... :squirrel: :lol:

It was impossible to leave the 157 to anybody, it actually looks very good, no scars, and will shine soon too. I can¨t wait to get the springs out, the two springs inside the deep barrel of the 32 motor. An ugly job, particularly when you do it in your bathroom sink :geek: One spring is broken, at least it does not catch. Hopefully it is the spring, and not the hook, or whatever it is named. Luckily I have another 32 motor in store, with two good springs.