Does anyone here know "jakescore1" on Ebay?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Does anyone here know "jakescore1" on Ebay?

Post by Steve »

I note this seller has been privately selling gramophones on Ebay for a long time now and nearly everything is "Collection only" from Worcester Park.

I'm curious if anyone knows the seller or indeed if the seller is here? :shock: He can't be a dealer so presumably he must be a long time collector disposing of a huge collection. Some of his machines are very rare too.

I think the combination of photo quality and collection only status of listings hasn't helped certain items sell during C19 period.

I have a few items I want to sell but his ever present listings for similar items with tumbling asking prices, isn't helping my cause! :lol:

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Re: Does anyone here know "jakescore1" on Ebay?

Post by epigramophone »

I have not had any dealings with him, but he has been on eBay since 2002 with 99.4% positive feedback on 1564 transactions.
20 years is a long time to dispose of a collection, so I think he may be a part time buyer and seller as many of us are.
He is certainly struggling to shift that HMV113 Transportable, and is now offering to deliver it "within reason".

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Yes, that 113 is a curio. I contacted him about it and asked if he was prepared to meet up somewhere off a motorway service station for mutual convenience and he said "I'll meet you on the M40". Whereabouts on the M40 I have no idea. I went back and queried the finish on the outside of the case (I think it's been re-finished but the photos aren't high enough resolution to be sure?) and he never responded. I took that to be a positive affirmation that I was correct.

On a wider point I'm not sure he's been selling for constantly for 20 years. I've been on Ebay for 20 years and I occasionally sell a few bits and pieces but I'm predominantly using it as a buyer. Back when I used to be regularly buying on Ebay in the early days I never saw jakescore1 offering items for sale. That doesn't mean he wasn't selling of course but I don't think he had the quantity or quality of machines he's got now which is why I'm thinking he might possibly be selling a large collection amassed over decades.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

Steve wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 7:33 am Yes, that 113 is a curio. I contacted him about it and asked if he was prepared to meet up somewhere off a motorway service station for mutual convenience and he said "I'll meet you on the M40". Whereabouts on the M40 I have no idea. I went back and queried the finish on the outside of the case (I think it's been re-finished but the photos aren't high enough resolution to be sure?) and he never responded. I took that to be a positive affirmation that I was correct.

On a wider point I'm not sure he's been selling for constantly for 20 years. I've been on Ebay for 20 years and I occasionally sell a few bits and pieces but I'm predominantly using it as a buyer. Back when I used to be regularly buying on Ebay in the early days I never saw jakescore1 offering items for sale. That doesn't mean he wasn't selling of course but I don't think he had the quantity or quality of machines he's got now which is why I'm thinking he might possibly be selling a large collection amassed over decades.
Steve , his name is Craig Feek -- has a facebook profile if my memory serves me correct.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

180791940_10224636092790383_4004203084475311195_n.jpg
( From his facebook profile )

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Thanks Paul. I've never met him before or seen him in the usual gramophone circles. I guess he's been a collector for a lot longer than I have or at least started long before me.

If he stops responding to messages I can't buy from him. Not the end of the world.......

bulleid_pacific
Victor Jr

Post by bulleid_pacific »

I note this seller has been privately selling gramophones on Ebay for a long time now and nearly everything is "Collection only" from Worcester Park.

I'm curious if anyone knows the seller or indeed if the seller is here? :shock: He can't be a dealer so presumably he must be a long time collector disposing of a huge collection. Some of his machines are very rare too.

I think the combination of photo quality and collection only status of listings hasn't helped certain items sell during C19 period.

I have a few items I want to sell but his ever present listings for similar items with tumbling asking prices, isn't helping my cause!
I bought an HMV 150 from him last September, 2021. A bit scruffy but cleaned up a treat with a new grille cloth and a winding escutcheon.

Easy transaction and well worth what I paid. I had to pick the gramophone up from a chef at a cafe though! He has (or had) a lot of machines then....

Arthur2075
Victor Jr

Post by Arthur2075 »

Yes I have known Craig over a few years. Bought 4 or 5 machines from him. He delivered on to my home in Fareham and another to my office in Portsmouth. Very knowledgeable and pleasant.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Well this is interesting. A few weeks ago I was very tempted by a VV-50 on fleabay but it was quite a distance from me and collection only. The other issue was the damage to the lid which although can be repaired, was a little off-putting and reduces its value and appeal. I was waiting for the seller to get back to me about the lid stay which appeared to be broken but the photos were quite poor so I couldn't be certain.

Most US collectors appear to shrug their shoulders at these much over 200 USD and it was priced at £199, albeit a very common machine rarely seen on this side of the pond. I slept on it and was ready to pounce in the morning when I saw it had already sold. Surely there isn't anyone else quite as mad as me I thought. Well, as it transpires, maybe not......

Imagine my surprise then when another one turns up in the UK offered my Mr Feek at £350!!! Except, that this isn't another one, it's the very same example complete with damaged lid and all.

The listing even borrows the previous sellers photos! How's that for being economical and proving there's no shame on Ebay? So what do we get for our extra £151? Delivery? No, its still collection only. Repaired lid? No, its still the same old machine exactly as it was 3 weeks ago.

I guess depending on your location it might be a slightly less painful journey to collect it from Worcester Park but otherwise as far as I can tell, you're simply paying for the privilege of it having been caressed by the hands of Mr Feek himself and for the pleasure of meeting the man in person.

It's all yours..........

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/204327349263 ... media=COPY

And the original listing:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/295652426844 ... media=COPY

There is one good thing at least about the lazy copy and paste photos: at least on this particular occasion to add photos of the machine it hasn't had to be perched precariously on that brick wall without apparent protection to stop it getting further scratched in the process.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Sat May 06, 2023 4:54 am
I guess depending on your location it might be a slightly less painful journey to collect it from Worcester Park but otherwise as far as I can tell, you're simply paying for the privilege of it having been caressed by the hands of Mr Feek himself and for the pleasure of meeting the man in person.
At least you confirmed that Mr Feek is not a collector, but a collection-only dealer.

A suggestion: I bought mine directly from the US eBay years ago, in great condition, and it cost me less than both offers of this one, including transport and customs. The VV50 is not a high-priced machine in the US.