Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Post by alang »

Congratulations on more amazing finds. You are really lucky in that perspective.
In regards to the horn elbow, please don't take a file to it. At least Victor used different elbow styles on earlier vs. later outside horn machines. The earlier had a lip at the bottom that was sitting on top of the back bracket in a groove and was held down by a small clamp. Later, Victor changed to the slip-in elbow style shown on your black horn. It's hard to see on the images, but it may just be the earlier style elbow on the new horn. You can simply twist it off the horn and try to find the correct elbow. I am sure that you would be able to find a buyer for the current elbow.

Andreas

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It seems that since so much more of the machine suddenly was included, that a search might be on for the missing back bracket and tone arm needed to complete this really decent machine!

As to the odd wires attached to the top board, it appears that someone has added them in order to make use of a small, "toy sized", front mount horn and reproducer. Their removal will further enhance you new find I think.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for all congratulations and advices. Unfortunately, the elbow is glued to the horn, so it is impossible to remove. But, at the same time I read and agree that it now is diffucult to know what to do with this gramophone/horn. I wanted to use it with the school model, and I there is a very small chance of ever finding the original/correct metal parts for this machine. If I don't file the elbow, the horn will be put in a storage locker.
What do you think about this machine, were these horns only used on German made DGAG gramophones, or could it be UK made. It looks pretty similar to Model VIIa in the HMG book, and because of the cannon brake and the speed control, the dating will be around 1910-11, if I am right?

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

The elbow should easily come off using a heat gun to soften the glue.
Hold the gun close to the elbow and aim it only at the elbow covering the entire 360 of it.
Wrap some foil on the horn to protect the paint.

It shouldn't take much to get it off, but it will be hot enough so you will have to use a pot holder to remove it.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you, Jeff. Then I can remove the elbow, and try to find a later version of the HMV elbow that will fit this school model, and be able to use the horn.

JeffR1
Victor II

Post by JeffR1 »

Pretty much any glue will soften with heat, with the exception of JB Weld.