Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Post by Inigo »

The shortest winding handle that fits is one of a 101. Have you tried that? As you have so many portables, maybe you have a 101 spare handle to borrow....
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Inigo, you are a Genius ! :clover:
I was looking at Sidewinder's winding handle for his machine, and said to myself.."that looks very much the size of a winding key of a 102, apart from the threads."
I have quite a few spare winding keys for 101 portables, since I bought quite a few of these in the last years for spares. And here, look !! IT FITS PERFECTLY"!

Problem solved, thanks a lot, Inigo for turning my brain in the right direction, while cleaning, refinishing and oiling the cabinet.
Attachments
april 2022 009.jpg
april 2022 008.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Nice!
What I'm saying was not original... But the winding handle would look much better if you would peel off the black paint and refinish the wooden handle in natural wood tone. You can apply some boiled linseed oil, which polishes the wood while giving it a wonderful obscure and warm wooden look, that of wet wood. Then use clear wax.
If mine, I would do that! It will look much better!
Ps. To remove the wooden handle: it has a screw at the back which goes in reverse thread.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for the tip, Inigo. I did not have at hand what you suggested, BUT I found some other stuff, and will apply wax after the handle has dried up.
While drying, I made this video, if you want to see and hear it playing. I just picked a record, I had never played it before really, but since it was Grieg,,I guess it is a good match.;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZyVMxRB8n8
Attachments
april 2022 013.jpg
IMG_20220415_183326.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Ah... now it looks fine! What a beauty!
Inigo

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

You do realise the winding handle should have a black wooden grip?!!

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Steve, yes, I realize it should have a black wooden tip. I just followed Inigo's hint on this one.;)

If I ever want it black again, I will repaint it black.

Just one major question, is there a way to attach a smaller DGAG/HMV horn to the tone arm base of a machine like this? In other words, did HMV ever make adaptors for this use. I have this smaller horn as shown below here, and would like to attach it to the machine for the time being, since the black horn below to my HMV Model 25. If it ever existed I guess they wil be hard to find, but if anyone has a suggestion on how to attach it, it would be very welcome.

And yes...I also need an elbow, but..have an intermediate Monarch in a storage locker, where I could borrow the elbow, but without a kind of adaptor, I would still be stuck. I may of course talk to a plumber...but... :mrgreen:
Attachments
april 2022 002.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI

Post by Inigo »

Nostalgia, I'm afraid it's my fault... I pushed you to modify the handle. I'm sorry.. although I like it very much this way.
As you said, you can always repaint it shiny black, and that's all.
Inigo

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Inigo, you did not at all push me :D
I knew very well this wooden knob originally was supposed to be black. I liked your idea, and you also said it was not original if I repainted it in a different color.
I like it now, it matches the cabinet, and if I ever want it black again, it will take 10 minutes to do it.

Thanks again for the tip :geek:

Thanks also to Steve, for pointing out it originally was black, both your comments are appreciated :)

That's why we are here after all, to exhange ideas, have a friendly environment, and give support and advice...and learn...forever learning :clover: :mrgreen:

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I bought this horn to use with the school model, but I now see it does not fit. It has a different elbow that does not fit the horn entrance on the school model.
I can.,,of course...make it fit by using a file, but that feels like "no - no". Actually, yesterday was a strange day. When collecting the horn, I was about to pick up the horn that was put on the lawn by the lady selling it, she had sent an sms and said I could drive by and pick it up.

When arriving I still hesitated, feeling she maybe thought someone had stolen the horn if I just drove off. I called her, she came out, and we had a good long chat, where she asked if I was interested in possibly buying a portable. I said, I could have a look at it, despite the fact that I am over crowded with portables. Of course I could not resist the Decca shown in another thread.

Then, a minute before leaving, she asked if I would have for free the rest of the gramophone that the horn had belonged to! She was about to throw it to waste, but had not had the time to do it. Three minutes later she returned with what is shown on the photos below. Unfortunately all the metal parts are all gone, but is this what I believe it is? At first I thought it was a crapophone because of the color..but that was before I saw the canon brake, and the speed indicator, and some seconds later, the motor.

So, the elbow on some of these German made machines are different from the UK machines? Because, this is a German machine, right?
We can see some strange wires that goes through the motor and through the motor board, any ideas what these were put there for in the past?
I upload some photos..before and after a small general clean up.
Attachments
juni 2022 013.jpg
juni 2022 012.jpg
juni 2022 011.jpg
juni 2022 007.jpg
juni 2022 006.jpg
juni 2022 005.jpg
juni 2022 003.jpg
juni 2022 001.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:56 am, edited 2 times in total.