Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Post by Steve »

The vertical piece which is missing was a lockable wooden bar secured with a projecting metal mortice into the escutcheon visible at the bottom of the cabinet with a catch recessed at the top, again visible in the photos. This was to secure the records and presumably to prevent young hands from removing records and walking off with them!

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I have received some more photos. This is a sad look, and I admit the state of the machine makes me now hesitate, really. The purchase price is not an issue, it is the driving and driving costs involved, now seeing what state the machine is in. It also looks like it has been stored in a damp environment, looking at the lower end of the machine.

We can see the winding handle, it has no threads. Has this substitutional winding handle destroyed the original threads in the motor?
Attachments
4.jpg
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Still I see it worth of rescuing... The problem I see, apart from the trip, it's the missing horn.. it is expensive by itself.... although you seem to live in lucky-land, and you might find one cheap...! :D But to purchase one in good shape from eBay (US or Europe mainland) may be pretty expensive!
Inigo

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

If it were me, I'd go for it.
Even with the damage, it's a rare machine, and the beauty of wood is pretty much any damage is fixable.
As long as the price is right, you'll have a machine that most of us will never be lucky enough to find or probably even see, and these would have been made in FAR fewer numbers than its Victor counterpart.
And at the very least, you'll have something to put a portable on and some record storage, instead of just an ordinary table to serve the same function.
And who knows what you might find in various antique/secondhand and op shops along the way.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

gramophoneshane wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:54 am If it were me, I'd go for it.
Even with the damage, it's a rare machine, and the beauty of wood is pretty much any damage is fixable.
As long as the price is right, you'll have a machine that most of us will never be lucky enough to find or probably even see, and these would have been made in FAR fewer numbers than its Victor counterpart.
And at the very least, you'll have something to put a portable on and some record storage, instead of just an ordinary table to serve the same function.
And who knows what you might find in various antique/secondhand and op shops along the way.
I agree with you, Shane. That sums up my thoughts exactly but it's worth nothing that the correct horn for this has just been sold on Ebay for £150 requiring a better repaint job than it had already received. So although the Morning Glory horns aren't usually offered for sale on their own, even longtime dealers are now unloading their stocks and these horns do turn up here and there.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Inigo wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 pm Still I see it worth of rescuing... The problem I see, apart from the trip, it's the missing horn.. it is expensive by itself.... although you seem to live in lucky-land, and you might find one cheap...! :D But to purchase one in good shape from eBay (US or Europe mainland) may be pretty expensive!
Not so expensive, maybe. Please see my post above.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

I see.,. If the machine is cheap, as nostalgia said, that cost for the horn would be ridiculous then! A machine such as this with its horn could cost maybe 1000 bucks even in this status?
Inigo

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Do no hesitate, go for it! Apply your collector mindset and realize that you are about to own a unique sample of a unit made by one of the largest manufacturers of its time. No other collector has even seen such machine, much less owned it.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I listened to you all, thank you for your overwhelming positive feedback. :) :rose:
I bought the machine, my offer was € 75, and it was accepted. The seller instantly also offered to arrange transport, but I will collect it myself, since I will not
trust any transport service in existence, to take that job. I will collect it during the next few weeks, when there is good weather, and possibly during Easter.

I will upload some more photos when I have collected it, so we can have a closer look, and also have photos saved for reference.

:coffee: :squirrel: :geek:

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Congratulations Martin. That's great news. The motor and soundbox are probably worth more than you paid for the whole machine.
Of course, the price of fuel at the moment adds to the cost, but even if that adds 200 more the price, you've still got a rare machine for a very reasonable outlay.
I look forward to seeing more of the machine once it's home.