Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Post by nostalgia »

I came across this machine for sale, is this a HMV School Horn model, missing the horn?
In the HMG book on page 84 I see a model named Horn Model 27 that is only pictured with a drawing from a HMV catalogue in the book, but is is clearly bearing some resemblance to this machine, but they also have differences.

At first I did not pay notice to the machine at all when seeing the ad, before spotting the HMV logo inside the lid !

I thought it could be interesting for us all to have a look at this photo. I will not upload the photo from the book to compare because of copyrights.., without possibly getting a "yes" to do it.

Update: I upload the photo from the HMG book so we can compare, I hope Mr,. Proudfoot and Mr Oakley will forgive me for that, since we now can get a real photo of what I presume is a variation of the School Horn Model 27 pictured in the HMV brochure.
Attachments
mars 2022 227.jpg
126_302766223.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Re: Is this a HMV school ( Horn) model ?

Post by CarlosV »

It certainly resembles the school model variant, apart from a central divider on the shelves that is not present on the one shown in the photo. It hard to discern from the photo if the back bracket has the insert for the horn. Both HMV school models are quite rare, especially the one in discussion - even Proudfoot and Oakley could not find one to photograph, and had to go with a printed advertisement for their book.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I am able to buy this machine, I have been in contact with the seller. However, it will involve two days of long driving, totalling around 1000 km, and the diesel and toll plaza costs, will be close to € 200. It sounds like madness, driving out with my old car on such a drive. The other side of the coin is, what will happen to this machine if I don't buy it? It may easily end as a toy to children, or even worse..on the landfill. The owner want to get rid of it quickly. It is lacking its horn, and the winding handle seems to have been substitiuted with..." something".

Preserve or not to preserve. I have no room for it, and absolutely don't need it otherwise, BUT,,,is it really so rare that it under any cuircumstance must be preserved?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I would think very carefully before taking on this project. As well as the cost time and effort of collection, you would need to source the correct horn, winding handle and possibly other components.

Rarity does not always equate with monetary value, and if you decided to sell you might not recover your outlay. This is a utilitarian machine of limited appeal, and any buyer would probably face the same collection issues which make large gramophones difficult to sell, as I have discovered from experience.

Of course the machine deserves to be preserved, but you cannot save them all.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

It's absolutely definitely a School Model and probably only slightly less rare than the strange cameraphone featured on here recently. Is it worth the effort? Yes!

I'm not much for being an intrepid traveller collecting gramophones long distance these days but something like this if I had the chance would be a no brainer.

I have the slightly more familiar School Model in my collection and this thread has reminded me I need to finish restoring it, so thanks for that.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Thanks for the responses.
IF I was taking on this project, it would just be to preserve it, without having any ideas, hopes or plans of selling it for future gain, since I already felt the monetarly value is low. Conscience hits me thoughj, since you have confirmed that it is rare, and also...it could of course be nice to own it, just for the case of it being different and hard to find, even if the monetary value is low. I already realize I often seem to keep machines that not always have decent monetary value ( with exceptions), but more because they are hard to find, so in that respect it would fit in. But I have absolutely no idea about where I would put it.. :roll:

The purchase cost is minimalistic, it is the drive that would cost....

I will get more photos from the seller in the evening, if it is not sold by then....

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

To me, this is a rare machine that has to be preserved. Of course, I don't know what they want for it, but how much trouble are we going through for much more common machines? When will we ever see another one of these machines? Maybe not something to make money from, but definitely one of the most interesting machines in recent discussions. Looking closely, the vertical front piece may have been removed and could be remade and replaced? Please someone safe it.

Andreas

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I think you are absolutely right, Andreas. Taking a closer look, we can see traces of the vertical panel that has been removed, so taking that into consideration, this is an exact version of the HMV School Horn Model 27, as far as I understand it. We can also see the hole in the lid where the horn will be placed.

We can also see it has some damage on the lower right side, woods have been carved off. The machine is close to being dumped on the landfill, no doubt, and if there are no other option, I feel I must take the (long trip) just for the sake of saving it, and hope my car will stand the test :roll:

After your inputs, I simply can't allow this machine to end its life on a landfill.

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I have received some more information. The machine has earlier been sawn in two parts :shock:
I think we can see it halfway down the cabinet too. I will receive more photos later this evening.
It was found in an old school, which makes sense...

Ohh..what should one do with this machine,,, :?:

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

nostalgia wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:14 pm The machine has earlier been sawn in two parts :shock:
Possibly owned by a magician in a past life. :lol:

If it's been sawn neatly & right even with the horizontal framing on the sides, it may be possible to "hide" the seam somewhat well when rejoining the northern end with the southern end.