RetroTech UK Sunday 8th May 2022

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

RetroTech UK Sunday 8th May 2022

Post by Steve »

As I see no one has mentioned this yet, I thought I'd add a post about what must remain the gramophone event of the year in the UK. Its on tomorrow, 8th May at Warwickshire Exhibition Centre.

Of course it's expanded beyond the original NVCF origins to include vintage technology like early computers, as well as phonographs, gramophones, radio, TV, vintage HiFi and other weird obsolete technology.

Doors open at 10.30am.

Anyone else here going?

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Re: RetroTech UK Sunday 8th May 2022

Post by mrrgstuff »

I'm planning on being there. I went to a vintage radio show with some friends back in the 90s and it might have been this one too. Otherwise not been before. I see from the website there are some roads closed nearby

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

mrrgstuff wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 3:05 pm I'm planning on being there. I went to a vintage radio show with some friends back in the 90s and it might have been this one too. Otherwise not been before. I see from the website there are some roads closed nearby
Did you go in the end and if so, did you get anything? It seemed quite well attended for the first May event post-Covid. It was less busy in October last year.

I bought an Apollo teak cased colonial portable. Will add a picture later. I nearly bought a Klingsor too but was beaten to the punch.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Yes, had a great time. Bought a 102 at the last moment, relatively cheaply with a dodgy motor, a bunch of soundboxes and various records. Also bought a crank, but it unfortunately doesn't quite fit the machine I intended it for.

I did see an interesting little box on the end of a stall that might have been the colonial portable, but it was closed up.

Great selection of stuff and had many interesting conversations with people. Could have bought much more. My wife enjoyed it too, bought lots of 45s.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

Lol. I spotted that 102! To my knowledge it was the only 102 there! Glad you did well and had a good day. Its a pity we have a year long wait until the next one. That's too long in the gramophone calendar. I wish they would reintroduce the October event again.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Good to hear about this, thanks both. I was dithering about going but had a busy weekend and in any case ended up with car problems! I may well go next year, and possibly take a stall with the BCN products and other stuff.

Any photos?
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Steve wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:15 am Lol. I spotted that 102! To my knowledge it was the only 102 there! Glad you did well and had a good day. Its a pity we have a year long wait until the next one. That's too long in the gramophone calendar. I wish they would reintroduce the October event again.
No need to wait another year. The CLPGS Powick Phonofair will return on 25th June after two years Covid enforced cancellation.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 6:40 am
Steve wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 4:15 am Lol. I spotted that 102! To my knowledge it was the only 102 there! Glad you did well and had a good day. Its a pity we have a year long wait until the next one. That's too long in the gramophone calendar. I wish they would reintroduce the October event again.
No need to wait another year. The CLPGS Powick Phonofair will return on 25th June after two years Covid enforced cancellation.
Yes, I was aware and very pleased to learn that Powick is back on and I shall hopefully be attending. But for those people more inclined towards machine collecting, there isn't really another event in the UK on the scale of RetroTech.

Incidentally, I have no idea what the thought was behind the name change from NVCF (National Vintage Communications Fair) as there is no discernible difference from the event of a few years ago. Indeed many of the stall holders are the same and there didn't appear to be any different areas of vintage technology on show anywhere...........which was a welcome thing for me personally.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Just uploaded a video of all the stuff I got there :D

https://youtu.be/edZs0FSsXPc

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

mrrgstuff wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:00 pm Just uploaded a video of all the stuff I got there :D

https://youtu.be/edZs0FSsXPc
I saw everything you bought there!