Gramophone Company Cigar Box

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Gramophone Company Cigar Box

Post by Steve »

Starkton wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 7:29 am I collect such things made of silver that are connected with the Gramophone Co. I saw this humidor at Sotheby's in 2008, so not exactly at a provincial auction house where expensive objects can slip through undetected by the international trade. The final price of 10,625 USD, which was just above the estimated price, was much too high for me: https://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ec ... t.140.html

We're not talking about modern art, antique race cars or anything like that, where crazy price jumps can happen. The fact that the same cigar box should cost twice as much 14 years later shows how "realistic" the current pricing is.

PS: The key is still missing.
I also collect silver associated with The Gramophone Company and like yourself wouldn't pay this price for it.

However, when I see such dedications and personal inscriptions I always feel a bit sad there aren't any family who would want the item. I'm not sure what the story is as to why this was available on the market but presumably there are no surviving family?

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

I think that Sotheby's got a little carried away with their description of the Trademark and Painting by Barraud.
Francis [Barraud] inherited Nipper, along with a cylinder phonograph and a number of recordings of Mark's voice."
Well, now, since Mark Henry (the brother and original owner of Nipper) died quite young - in 1887! - we can probably discount the idea that there were any cylinders with Mark's voice. Of course, it is technically possible that Nipper himself made a cylinder recording (on the Edison-Bell Commercial Model) since the terrier lived to the age of 11, and died in a more-appropriate 1895. Arf, arf...

Nipper returns for his close-up (encore) in the June 2022 issue of The Antique Phonograph. Be sure to read about how he crossed the Atlantic for the first time.

Allen

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In undated notes in his own handwriting Francis Barraud wrote :

"It is difficult to say how the idea came to me beyond the fact that it suddenly occurred to me that to have my little dog listening to the phonograph, with an intelligent and rather puzzled expression, and call it "His Master's Voice" would make an excellent subject. We had a phonograph and I often noticed how puzzled he was to make out where the voice came from. It was certainly the happiest thought I ever had."

Souce : "The story of Nipper" from notes in the EMI Archives, compiled by Leonard Petts.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 4:30 am In undated notes in his own handwriting Francis Barraud wrote :

"It is difficult to say how the idea came to me beyond the fact that it suddenly occurred to me that to have my little dog listening to the phonograph, with an intelligent and rather puzzled expression, and call it "His Master's Voice" would make an excellent subject. We had a phonograph and I often noticed how puzzled he was to make out where the voice came from. It was certainly the happiest thought I ever had."

Souce : "The story of Nipper" from notes in the EMI Archives, compiled by Leonard Petts.
Although I have the book and I'm much more familiar with the story these days, way back in time, long before I started collecting, I always thought the tag line "His Master's Voice" was extremely clever as it evoked the idea that the instrument was so proficient at recreating the human voice (and therefore by default, music too) that Nipper really believed his master was there, present in the room.

It could conceivably have been a nod to the slogan "Hi-Fidelity", long before the term was really used in a popular way to sell audio equipment deemed capable of a high level of reproduction, delivering music authentically with presence.

Of course, I overthought it. The idea, although arguably valid, never entered the head of those responsible for making that association; it was simply about "recognition" of the voice and bafflement as to its origin. Oh well.........

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It was explained to me, many years ago, that the surface upon which both phonograph & dog were seated, was the coffin containing Nipper's former "Master". The good & faithful dog now having only "His Master's Voice" to keep him company and to console him. Again... that's what I was told... not saying any of that is anything but pure fairy tale :roll:

AllenKoe
Victor II

Post by AllenKoe »

The good & faithful dog now having only "His Master's Voice" to keep him company"
Well, when we are dealing with artists, some things cannot be taken too literally. Nipper's original "Master" (from puppyhood) was Mark Henry Barraud. Mark was Francis' older brother, who died prematurely in 1887, not even 40 years old. Only then did Francis acquire him (thru the family), certainly long before there was a commercial Gramophone. And the Edison-Bell Commercial (electric) phonograph didn't exist until 1893, so in either case, the "coffin scene" could not have been literally TRUE. But in Victorian England, bodies were kept in parlors, and honored in death. And the passing of Robert Browning was in the air... along with HIS preserved recording.

The transient memory of "His Master's Voice" was and could only have been in the canine grey cells of a curious "fox terrier" before his own death in 1895. But Francis did save and preserve an old 'Cabinet" card (photographic) which showed Nipper in his solitary splendor and then combined the two in late 1898/early 1899. It was Barraud's visit to the new Gramophone Co. to get (on loan) an all-brass horn that triggered the events that followed. And it was Wm Barry Owen who made Barraud an offer he couldn't refuse, after Barraud's original British Copyright of Feb 1899 (which originally showed the cylinder model and its first black horn); to get his full 100 British pounds, Francis had to alter the original painting by painting OVER the initial pigment and adding the Johnson 'Trademark" Berliner which was already being shipped to England (a micro-prognostication of the future). By curious coincidence, Barraud received for his artwork and copyright (with the changed design) the same sum as Caruso would later receive (in 1902) for his first 10 sides made for G&T, 100 pounds!

Who got the better deal? And did Emile Berliner ever SEE this painting in England in 1900 as so often claimed? And what happened to Emile's personal copy, made for him by Barraud, in 1914?

Read all about it in the June issue...

Allen

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

JerryVan wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 12:01 pm It was explained to me, many years ago, that the surface upon which both phonograph & dog were seated, was the coffin containing Nipper's former "Master". The good & faithful dog now having only "His Master's Voice" to keep him company and to console him. Again... that's what I was told... not saying any of that is anything but pure fairy tale :roll:
As far as I know, Barraud never confirmed or denied the 'coffin' story. Certainly, ever since Edison's tinfoil Phonograph first appeared, the idea that a person's voice could survive them after death captured the popular imagination; the Victorians' sentimental attitude towards death and mourning would have endeared them to the idea of a pet recognizing his late master's voice.

As a refreshing antidote to that, I like the early clip of a 'Nipper' look-alike trashing a Gramophone... :lol:

- Bill