Tabletop Klingsor in need of a lot of TLC…

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
phonodesbois
Victor II

Tabletop Klingsor in need of a lot of TLC…

Post by phonodesbois »

As a birthday gift, my brother in law found this Klingsor for my wife (his sister).
This is our first Klingsor and we didn’t know that they made small tabletops.
The machine will require a lot of restoration but the hardware is here, including the original reproducer.
The motor seems ok and should only need minor fixings.
Does someone know when this model was made? I would also like to have a photo of this model in good condition.
Thanks in advance,
Jeff
Attachments
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
5.JPG
6.JPG
7.JPG
8.JPG

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Re: Tabletop Klingsor in need of a lot of TLC…

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I like it, hopefully the repairs are simple enough. It's unique, should be a standout piece.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I've seen Klingsor tabletops that are ordinary machines, only noticeable for their Klingsor decal, but this one is unique, and is well worth restoring. And it must be great to have brothers-in-law that give you a reason to have them around.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

In over 60 years collecting I have never seen a Klingsor of this type, and can only assume that because of it's strange design it did not enjoy a wide sale. Which way round would it be displayed in a room? The decorative grille was surely intended to be seen, but then the machine would have to be operated from the rear...... :?

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

epigramophone wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 6:03 am . Which way round would it be displayed in a room? The decorative grille was surely intended to be seen, but then the machine would have to be operated from the rear...... :?
At first I had the same feeling but, afterward, I thought that it could have been a bit similar to the front mount machines with the horn facing the audience while the ‘’operator” was on the side of the machine handling the disk, reproducer and crank. Of course, I just don’t know…

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

Am I alone in thinking this looks like a standard "tall" model that has been cut down, and the grille repositioned in the back, as that was the only place it could have fitted in? There are a lot of round-headed wood screws that surely wouldn't have been on show on an original, and as shown, the Klingsor decal would be on the inside when the lid was closed. Just a thought!

Barry

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Phono48 wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2022 5:23 am Am I alone in thinking this looks like a standard "tall" model that has been cut down, and the grille repositioned in the back, as that was the only place it could have fitted in?
Well, we thought about that but considering that both the reproducer arm and the internal horn are manufactured and not handmade, there is just no way to connect them to a klingsor speaker sitting on top of the turntable (attached a pic of the reproducer arm and internal horn).
Mystery!
Attachments
DSCN4006.JPG
DSCN4008.JPG

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I hope you will be able to put the machine back into work, an interesting and unique item.

phonodesbois
Victor II

Post by phonodesbois »

Do you know if guitar strings can be used and what sizes to choose? (I know it will be difficult or just a nightmare to tune these strings...)
Thanks all for your support!

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Wow ! An amazing piece of gramophone history indeed !