Columbia 112a specific repairs

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
anchorman
Victor II

Re: Columbia 112a specific repairs

Post by anchorman »

Two more repairs, first one being the pin that keeps the soundbox from flopping back too far when changing the needle. I first peened the surface around the loose pin to help close up the slightly enlarged hole. A piece of steel rod held in a vise was the anvil, and I used a tiny round punch, working carefully around the pin to push the metal back in place. I then used the same silver solder from the inside to re-attach the pin and got the result in the picture.
343A4AB1-F9CC-4B3E-A6B1-DA0CC54D121B.jpeg
To fix, I used a piece of wood under the pin, and held the arm section with a rag, and heated again from the inside with the soldering iron, pushing the pin back flush with the surface of the arm tube. Final repair looks good, but I forgot to take a picture of it.
D2060E35-03F0-4F80-825F-D25962E67BB5.jpeg
The last thing I did while installing the hardware on the case, was re-drill holes that were loose, after plugging the old holes earlier in the morning. I dripped some thin easily flowing super glue down in the holes I did not re-drill in order to reinforce them. For some reason the third screw that holds the plates was not originally used, so after finding a suitable replacement in a box of random hardware I rescued some years ago, I drilled a pilot hole and added the third screw to the plate. This plate helps focus the sound, but most importantly it is used to support the lid when it is opened and the tone arm when it rises up with the lid. I figured the extra screw could only help keep this part of the case stable and sturdy.

The 112a is now back together and working beautifully, after sitting for almost two years waiting on a replacement hinge. There are a few more minor issues to deal with, but those can wait for now.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Some video of it in action. So far I’ve only listened to this video on the speaker on my phone. Sounds more full in real life, of course.

I’ve been using hand made bamboo needles, and amazingly it handles a skip in this record without any problems. At some point if I find another copy of this, I’ll try to do micro-surgery on the groove to eliminate the skip.

The number 9 soundbox is pretty nice, and handles the 1940’s records without any fuss.

Almost forgot to add the YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LbIG0q ... e=youtu.be

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

The motor makes a little more noise than I would like now that the turntable is back on it, but it’s not noticeable under the music, and somewhat exaggerated by the automatic sound level when recording video on the phone.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

You have laid done a lot of good work, and saved a Columbia 112a here ! Congratulations .

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thanks! It only took two years from when I got the machine to finally get all the parts!