HMV 102E, quality control, and a speed issue

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: HMV 102E, quality control, and a speed issue

Post by gramophoneshane »

Looking at your pictures again it appears you've got a little bit of room (maybe 1-2mm) where you could slide the governor balls and plate along the governor shaft with the worm gear to bring the plate a little closer to the felt pad.
I'd definitely try that first.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I drilled two small new holes, now the plate is exactly 8 cm from the edge of the motor board, and most important, the records play at exact 78 rpm with rooom for adjustments with the speed control on the motor board, as it should. :clover: :geek:

I made this small video showing the 102 now playing, thank you for all help. The song is a beautiful Danish song "Havren" ( The Oats), sung by the Danish tenor Axel Schiøitz. You can also see some small glimpses of where I live in the video.;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpMgarjzlXE

PS. As you as observant gramophone owners will see, I am not using the manual brake, someone has in the past desperately tried to ruin it when trying to make the gramophone work, so it needs to be straightened out to work properly. A small job in the beaituful weather (as you will see in the video), apart from it..the gramophone now works as it should.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

gramophoneshane wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:31 am Looking at your pictures again it appears you've got a little bit of room (maybe 1-2mm) where you could slide the governor balls and plate along the governor shaft with the worm gear to bring the plate a little closer to the felt pad.
I'd definitely try that first.
With respect, it can't be done, because the shaft has a small depression in it where the locking screw on the governor locates, so it remains in the set position, Nor is it possible to move the whole assembly nearer to the worm gear, as the bronze governor socket at that end also has a groove in it so that the locking screw locates in it.

Barry

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

nostalgia wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 5:42 am I drilled two small new holes, now the plate is exactly 8 cm from the edge of the motor board, and most important, the records play at exact 78 rpm with rooom for adjustments with the speed control on the motor board, as it should.
Oh well, as we say over here "There's more than one way to kill a cat!"
Barry