Garrard Super motor (springs, etc)

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
anchorman
Victor II

Garrard Super motor (springs, etc)

Post by anchorman »

I am almost the proud new owner of a Garrard Super. I probably paid too much, but I have wanted one for many years, and have never seen one up for sale before.

A couple of things I need to know about these motors:

Who has the best replacement springs (is there a good spring supplier in north america)? Where can I find a suitable 12" turntable for it? Is the spindle taper that the turntable mounts on relatively interchangeable across various columbia/victor/HMV models? I will also need a crank for this, though I may wait on that, since I don't know what case I will be putting this in yet, and may need to make a custom adapter of some sort. Is there a standard crank threading for them?

Thanks in advance!

pallophotophone
Victor II

Re: Garrard Super motor (springs, etc)

Post by pallophotophone »

If you're happy to have it, then you probably didn't pay too much. Just my 2 cents.... Wish I could offer ideas on where to get parts. Is it repairable?

BH

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

I will find out if it is repairable! I’m hoping it just needs a set of mainsprings. Anything else, I can probably make if I can’t otherwise source parts.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

It will likely be a month before I actually have time to do anything with it. Still trying to decide if I will pick it up while visiting the UK in July, or if I will have it shipped to me here in the states. I doubt it will arrive before I leave, but who knows?

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

Congratulations! Amazing motors. A few months ago, my Super had a spring break (captured on video!) and I ordered two new ones from the UK from eBay seller soundgen. I need to find the time to do the repair, but they are new springs and look perfect.

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Thanks, I saw he sells them, and might go with that if I don’t find anything local in the states. I was thinking about having them delivered there while I visit, it I’ve already got so many heavy things going in my luggage! UK eBay is a very dangerous place to find yourself ;)

BassetHoundTrio
Victor I

Post by BassetHoundTrio »

A pair of springs weigh less than you think, and would easily tuck away in your luggage! Yesterday I removed the spring barrels on mine, and getting ready to attempt the replacements...

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

I was within ½ a pound of going over the weight limit with my checked bag! And got to unpack the HMV 102 I had in my carry-on bag a total of 4 times on my journey home! Not sure what they would have thought about a pair of springs!

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

Well, I finally got to opening up this beautiful motor, and assessing what it needs to run again.
DF3F9F52-7269-4FA9-A6A4-7146E7483318.jpeg
The speed control button on top of the motor was sticking, and it freed up with a little bit of oil. No obvious damage to anything, except the sadly all to common sign of some brute using the wrong size screwdriver on a few of the slotted heads of the case screws.

I sprayed some WD-40 into the oil pump area, as a couple of the screws holding the bottom cover for the oil pump mechanism were stubborn due to caked on grease/oil - these two screws or their threaded holes go through the casting and into the oil pump sump. One came loose, and the other is still soaking.

I cranked the motor over a few times, and got fluid to come out at the top of the motor, which made me very happy.
IMG_8853.MOV
(25.88 MiB) Downloaded 31 times

anchorman
Victor II

Post by anchorman »

There is indeed a broken spring, so I’ll need to replace it, and will be smart and do both at the same time.

The springs are a little less than one inch wide by .026” thick. This agrees with Chunny’s website where they’re listed with those dimensions by 16’ - 9” long.

After oiling all pivots and the governor manually, I spun the main gear, and it is really impressive how long the gear train keeps spinning. I can see that this motor is going to run beautifully once I’ve got the new springs and finished cleaning it up inside. Worth every one of the many pennies that it set me back both to purchase and then have shipped to the states.

Fingers crossed that one of my existing cranks will fit the coupler on the motor. If not, it should be easy enough to make a new coupler or make a new crank to match the existing coupler.