HMV 31a and 32 at a cemetery

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
SteveM
Victor II

HMV 31a and 32 at a cemetery

Post by SteveM »

I finally "gig'd" with these two machines that I fixed up just before the pandemic.

Video is nothing spectacular ... a scrappy little snippet (I was playing music for a solid 5 hours, answering questions and chatting for most of that time ... difficult to step away!) but it's kind of interesting to see these machines side by side ... Dum Dum 1939 vs. Hayes 1929 ... the 31a cabinet is so much bigger than the 32 (and I still don't understand why ... 2-spring motor vs. the 4-spring in the 32).

I should do a more scientific test at home. For, try as I may, I can't hear any discernible difference between these two machines, even swapping the Meltropes. The 32 has a larger horn, so it seems to balance out perfectly with the large-bore tonearm yet smaller horn of the 31a. Their conduits seem to be exactly the same.

It was nice to be out playing music again. I had forgotten how transfixed and emotional people get in the presence of music played on gramophones. It's quite addictive to see that reaction ... despite my aching back.

(Double-click the video above or click this link to watch the video on YouTube in HD.)

“The cup of tea on arrival at a country house is a thing which, as a rule, I particularly enjoy. I like the crackling logs, the shaded lights, the scent of buttered toast, the general atmosphere of leisured cosiness.”

P. G. Wodehouse

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Re: HMV 31a and 32 at a cemetery

Post by Orchorsol »

Wonderful, thanks for sharing Steve!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

I have some of these machines, a 32, a 29 and a 33, and the 32 is clearly better in terms of sound due to its tonearm and soundbox (the 29 and the 33 have shorter arms and utilize the HMV 4 instead of the 5a). I trust your audience in the cemetery maintained a dead silence during the show, and hope you have included Skeleton in the Closet among the pieces you played for them.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Was that a Royal Blue Columbia playing on the 31a? Lovely smooth surfaced records but scarce in the UK.
I have never seen stalls set up in a cemetery before. I hope no-one took a grave view of the proceedings ;) .
Attachments
graves.jpg