Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor for cockleshell monarch

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor for cockleshell monarch

Post by soundgen »

Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor to fit a large mahogany cockleshell monarch , base is 16" 41cm , lid 15cm 38cm
Attachments
DSCF1246.JPG
DSCF1245.JPG
DSCF1244.JPG
DSCF1243.JPG
DSCF1242.JPG
DSCF1241.JPG
DSCF1240.JPG
DSCF1238.JPG
DSCF1237.JPG
DSCF1236.JPG

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Looking for a triple spring rocking turntable motor for cockleshell monarch

Post by Jerry B. »

I've got a motor from a VTLA with a 12" cast turntable. Is that what you need?

Jerry B.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Jerry B. wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:09 am I've got a motor from a VTLA with a 12" cast turntable. Is that what you need?

Jerry B.
Do you know if the holes match up ?
Attachments
DSCF1243 holes.jpg
DSCF1243.JPG

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

Jerry will answer too, but it should, here is the pattern from a Victor IV, the motor casting is similar except that Victor added an extra spring.
Attachments
100_2877.JPG

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

JeffR1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 pm Jerry will answer too, but it should, here is the pattern from a Victor IV, the motor casting is similar except that Victor added an extra spring.
Looks similar but mine has another whole on the left side , the winding handle hole is at the back of the case

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

soundgen wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:47 pm
JeffR1 wrote: Fri Jun 24, 2022 4:02 pm Jerry will answer too, but it should, here is the pattern from a Victor IV, the motor casting is similar except that Victor added an extra spring.
Looks similar but mine has another whole on the left side , the winding handle hole is at the back of the case
Yes, the winding hole is at the back of the case, that is where it should be.
I have no idea what the extra hole is for, but I have not seen an extra one there in any of the castings for the triple spring motor.
Maybe the European castings have that extra hole as they thought the casting needed a little more support to accommodate the extra springs.

Here is a base plate out of a VTLA, this was also in the Victor VI.

The base plates were generally the same from the Victor II to Victor VI, except as they got newer, Victor extended the casting as they added more springs, but the holes remained in the same position.

The speed control is also in the correct position too.
Attachments
100_2879.JPG

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

The Cockleshell normally has a double spring motor and ten-inch turntable, but I have never seen a mahogany Cockleshell before. I take it the position of the brake indicates a 12-inch turntable? I presume the black finish and unusual lining on the back bracket are not original? -- it's a post-G & T model, and the bracket would normally have been nickel-plated.

JeffR1
Victor III

Post by JeffR1 »

There was for sale on UK eBay that was mahogany, and I can't remember for sure, but I think it had a 12 inch turntable.

Someone mangled a horn at the base to make it fit.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Thanks all for input , now found motor with 12" turntable and winder , holes all seem to match , so all it would need to complete is a mahogany horn and an appropriate soundbox both beyond me but if someone wants to buy the bits I'm open to offers but just weighed the motor and is 6 kilos + so would prefer collection email jmw.bedford@ntlworld.com if of interest
Attachments
DSCF1249.JPG
DSCF1248.JPG
DSCF1247.JPG

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Oedipus wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:47 am The Cockleshell normally has a double spring motor and ten-inch turntable, but I have never seen a mahogany Cockleshell before. I take it the position of the brake indicates a 12-inch turntable? I presume the black finish and unusual lining on the back bracket are not original? -- it's a post-G & T model, and the bracket would normally have been nickel-plated.
Am I alone in not recognising the back-bracket as a G & T product. I don't recall ever seeing a bracket with a flat edge to it. Whilst the case has obviously been stripped and refinished it still does not quite look up to the standard of G & T / HMV products I'm more familiar with.

If its so different I wonder where and when it was made? It's doubtfully a Colonial variant as those are more often found in teak.