Newbie and just bought my 1st Gramophone

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
jdzn
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Newbie

Re: Newbie and just bought my 1st Gramophone

Post by jdzn »

nostalgia wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:06 pm Welcome to the forum, it is a marvellous gramophone you've got there, and your first machine being a horn gramophone, well that is what I would call a kick start into the hobby. :clover:
thank you! glad to get one for the first time hehehehe

jdzn
Victor Jr
Personal Text: Newbie

Post by jdzn »

Sidewinder wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:25 pm So, where to start:

Horn is spectacular. It is not a Pathé horn though (if you are aiming for a pure Pathé machine - though I would say the combination you have is very nice.)

The adaptor to pay lateral discs is fine, thats perhaps why Pathé made the tone arm as they did

The reproducer is 20 years more modern than the cabinet, but does its job.

Back bracket, possibly repainted, the tone arm definitely repainted gold.

Cabinet is a Pathé style 6 introduced in around 1910.

Brake - normally not the style you have, it should be a lever directly from the motor. Maybe a picture of the motor would be helpful to see where the lever attached. The motor is obviously original as the winder / speed control are in the right place

However overall a very nice machine
thanks and very informative, will try to upload a video soon!

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Welcome to the forum and a great hobby which has sustained some of us through multiple decades!

As others have said, the horn is not a Pathé type and would be wrong on a French machine but with this said your particular machine is not a Pathé made for the French Market as it has a different ID plaque and misses off the model name / no. The discus thrower decal / transfer is also missing.

It could be made for export in which case a non standard horn might not be incorrect! We would need to see the motor and why the stop mechanism isn't using the push / pull lever through an aperture in the front of the cabinet. Pathé did use a conventional braking system but not until the 1920s by which time this cabinet design was obsolete. But, if its an export model anythings possible!

Keep us posted of updates and yes, definitely add more pictures when you can and we'll try to help properly identify its origins and original market.

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

Would it be possible to upload one picture of the entire machine?

I'm not that familiar with European (British and Continental) machines, but some comments have been made on the brake. That looks like the type I've seen on a Thorens. I of course could be totally wrong. Not the first time. Nor the last.

John

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

jboger wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:58 pmThat looks like the type I've seen on a Thorens.

John
It's actually a Paillard brake.