Identify electric motor

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Identify electric motor

Post by chunnybh »

I just got back from a trip to the UK. It was mainly to visit family and friends but I did manage to get away and discovered a few gems. More about that later but for now, can anyone identify this electric motor?. Thanks.
Attachments
Motor-4.jpg
Motor-3.jpg
Motor-2.jpg
Motor-1.jpg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Re: Identify electric motor

Post by chunnybh »

I was hoping someone would know more about the motor.
It's a vertical idler wheel drive but unfortunately I could not find any markings on it but I am sure I have seen that tripod cast frame before. Oh! for a memory. I'm guessing it is some sort of prototype.
I'm trying to find the time to writing a short page on the gramophone the motor belongs to. Hopefully soon.
It's the behemoth Expert All-Range.
Attachments
Expert All-Range -1.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

My goodness Chunny, where on earth did you find that monster ?! I am afraid I have not seen a motor of that type but very much look forward to the story of the gramophone.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

What a rare and fabulous beast, how exciting! I've never seen a motor like that either.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

physicist
Victor O

Post by physicist »

I can't resist the challenge of searching on the internet for something I've never seen before......

I think the motor is a Conoisseur, manufactured by A. R. Sugden in 1948:-
connoisseur_sugden_motor.jpg
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/A._R._Sugden_and_Co

chunnybh
Victor III

Post by chunnybh »

Physicist. Well done sir. That is exactly it. I knew I had seen it before; In storage, I have an EMG radiogram with that setup in it. It is also well known that EMG/Expert used Connoisseur tonearms and turntables for their later off-the-shelf setups.
I love this forum, such knowledgeable folk.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Well done :D
Another mystery solved.
I too was intrigued by this motor and wondered what the voltage range and top view was.
Now I know.
It just goes to show that regardless of how many decades we collect this stuff, there's always more to see and learn.