Pathé 78 adapter

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
BlackcatJJ
Victor Jr

Pathé 78 adapter

Post by BlackcatJJ »

Hi all am looking for a Pathé adapter to play 78s on my Pathé tabletop. Have the Pathé soundbox and fitment but not the equivalent to play with a normal needle soundbox. Any advice or places I may source one? Thanks!

Victor VI

Re: Pathé 78 adapter

Post by 52089 »

I don't know that I've seen a lateral adaptor for a Pathé machine. The machines sold in the USA, AFAIK, mostly (if not all) had a rotating head that swiveled from vertical to lateral position. In lateral position, it looked odd, but it worked. If your tonearm has a thumbscrew and collar behind the reproducer, in theory you can rotate the reproducer to play laterals. In practice, the pieces are usually pot metal that has swollen to the point where this won't work. There's no single way of freeing it. Sometimes heat works, sometimes cold works, and if you're very lucky, yours will rotate after using penetrating oil.

You may want to post good photos of your tonearm and reproducer so we can better answer your question.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

There were plenty of Pathé adaptors sold for lateral records. I have about a dozen different ones in my collection.

Unfortunately whilst I'm willing to sell the odd one to someone who needs it, I'm not going to send it out of the UK as its a cheap item but the postage cost will be exorbitant and the hassle factor very high.

BlackcatJJ
Victor Jr

Post by BlackcatJJ »

Hi Steve I'm in the UK if that helps...

BlackcatJJ
Victor Jr

Post by BlackcatJJ »

My Pathé gramophone and tonearm
My Pathé gramophone and tonearm

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Yep, this is a standard only vertical Pathé tonearm. What you need it's an adaptor that fits on the larger tube when you unscrew the set screw detaching the narrower rubber tube with the soundbox attached to it. Then you fit in the adaptor, which is a curved tube with a lateral soundbox on its other end. Thanks to the curved pipe, the soundbox rests on the proper position to play laterals.
There must be adaptors which are only the curved pipe, and you use the same Pathé soundbox at the other end, fitted with steel needles.
I've always had a strange curved short tonearm attachment that could well be what you're looking for...
This weekend I can post a photo of what I have, together with measurements. Then you can check dimensions of your tonearm and we can see if it would suit your tonearm. If it would suit you, I will glad to send it to you for £15 plus the postage cost.
But first we must figure out if it serves the purpose.
Inigo

BlackcatJJ
Victor Jr

Post by BlackcatJJ »

That's great thank you.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Not for sale, but this is a typical example of what you are looking for :
Attachments
IMG_1656.JPG

BlackcatJJ
Victor Jr

Post by BlackcatJJ »

Thank you, that's really helpful.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

According to Pathé catalogues, they made a different variety of adaptors.
I can't seem to find the catalogue that shows the type epigramophone posted above, but I know I've seen it in an online catalogue somewhere before.
Attachments
PATHEPHONE_48.jpeg
PATHEPHONE_48.jpeg (75.21 KiB) Viewed 650 times
PATHBELGIQUERE29.jpg
PATHBELGIQUERE29.jpg (75.41 KiB) Viewed 650 times