Expert All-Range at Harewood House

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Expert All-Range at Harewood House

Post by emgcr »

Ahmed wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:48 pm It might be only the earlier examples which had it as you suggested Graham? The mystery deepens!
When you think about it, the additional support is nicely designed and would have required good/expensive machining/pattern-making. However, fitting had to be exact and there is little room for error. By contrast, spot-welding a flange to position, followed by full welding, would have been cheaper, easier to fit and allow certain very useful tolerances. It follows perhaps that the additional bracket system came first ?

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

emgcr wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:10 pm
Ahmed wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 2:48 pm It might be only the earlier examples which had it as you suggested Graham? The mystery deepens!
When you think about it, the additional support is nicely designed and would have required good/expensive machining/pattern-making. However, fitting had to be exact and there is little room for error. By contrast, spot-welding a flange to position, followed by full welding, would have been cheaper, easier to fit and allow certain very useful tolerances. It follows perhaps that the additional bracket system came first ?

That makes a lot of sense. Plus it's all just hidden at the back, so lots of work without much reward

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 11:06 am Alastair came to lunch today and we looked at this thread together.
His Senior does not have the additional conduit support, but it does have the diagonal brace rod on the horn.
Many thanks for that Roger.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

My pedestal Expert Senior doesn't have the extra support bracket around the rear conduit either.

According to the Late Frank James, my example, similar to Graham's, is quite an early example.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Ha ! Many thanks Steve---so that would suggest a very short life for the bracket design which is surprising given the fact that Ginn seems to have applied for a patent which may have been quite expensive ?
Attachments
Patent number.JPG

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

A profane me myself, but looking at the photos, I also bid for the assumption that the well made support plate soldered to the conduit at the outlet from the case, with its four bolts attached to the case, seems an advance (and a much more elegant solution) over the additional support bracket, so seems that later models may have it.
Inigo

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Agreed, the bracket seems like an earlier design. The welded later design would have be a lot easier to setup to each cabinet.
It's the first time I had seen this bracket so good to know there are more. The bracket looks like aluminium but the conduit does look like some sort of iron.
Also interesting that Alasdair's Senior has a cross bar support. Looks like not much thought went into that cross support as the two All-Range machines I have seen have had their horns punctured by the rod.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

If the rod punctures the horn, does this mean that there isn't any kind of metal ring around the horn at the guilty end, protecting the horn? It would have been such a simple solution...
Inigo

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I assume the rod was supposed to give extra support to the metal tongue support strap which is imbedded throughout the throat of the horn. A simple spot weld should have done the trick.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Inigo wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:06 am If the rod punctures the horn, does this mean that there isn't any kind of metal ring around the horn at the guilty end, protecting the horn? It would have been such a simple solution...
Expert often used an embedded metal ring at the final diameter to help keep the shape but, for the All Range where the cantilever is greater, should also have done so where the rod ends to dissipate the high pressure point load. Even a simple spreader plate would have conferred much greater structural integrity.