Expert All-Range at Harewood House

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Expert All-Range at Harewood House

Post by chunnybh »

EXPERT All-Range C.1935
This example was unearthed at Harewood House in West Yorkshire. It had been in storage and the curators at Harewood House Trust decided to put it out on display. It caused quite a stir so they decided to find out more about the gramophone. They contacted me through my website and I was only too happy to let them know what they had and sent them details on this rare beast. I was planning a trip to the UK so asked if I could come have a look at and document it. They were very obliging and a date was set up for my visit. I suggested I bring a few tools along to see if I could get it working. I was told as it was part of the Trust and as such, any work on it would have to be approved, which could be a lengthy process.

Harewood House is a must see venue. The grounds and buildings are simply stunning and the car park was full on a Monday morning. I was told the gramophone belonged to George Henry Hubert Lascelles, the 7th Earl of Harewood. He was a huge Opera fan and was head of an array of impressive musical societies, so quite apt that he should own one of the best acoustic gramophones ever commercially made. He was quite a character and had his fair share of intrigue and scandal. Come on! he was president of Leeds United Football Club from 1961 until his death in 2011.

Back to the gramophone.
Unfortunately, the gramophone is currently only for display and does not work. The motor needs repairs and the soundbox may need rebuilding. The two examples I have seem have had the same damage to the horn. The diagonal brace rod, which is meant to help support the horn, has punctured through the paper horn. All quite easy repairs, and I have encouraged the curators at Harewood House to have these repairs done, so that the beast can be played and perhaps even used for concerts.
I’ve put together a draft web page on this All-Range. It’s not live yet but can be viewed and critiqued here.

http://www.gramophonemuseum.com/expert- ... range.html

Details: Expert All-Range with 36” diameter horn:
  • Sits on a matching Expert cabinet with drawer.
  • All the fittings and pipework are identical in size to the Expert Senior, at least on this example.
  • Unique support brace attached to the rear of the case, suggesting a different cast. Which one came first?
  • Fitted with an electric “Connoisseur motor, manufactured by A. R. Sugden in 1948”. It has a vertical idler wheel to rotate the turntable. Thanks to “physicist” for identifying the motor.
  • Expert 4-spring soundbox in its original box.
  • The cabinet drawer contents are pictured below. A pair of Davey bamboo cutters, Davey Dressing tube, Davey Rollright, a BCN Fibre Needle Sharpener and accessories, a Pathé reproducer for playing vertical cut records and a variety of fibre and steel needles.
  • A key was found with the gramophone that did not fit the gramophone. On wandering about the music room, I discovered two corner cabinets in the music room that were locked. The key fitted and opened to reveal record cabinets, suggesting that is where the gramophone was located when it was last being used. On my visit, it was exhibited in one of the small dining rooms.
  • Unusual item is the “Ultra- Paradox” counterweight device with a “Lifebelt” and printed instructions. I can see everyone rushing off to make one.
Queries:
  • Could it be an early Expert Senior with unique but primitive looking back bracket brace and perhaps the horn upgrade came later?
  • Could the motor also be a later upgrade?
Perhaps a “posse” of EMG/Expert fans should descend on Harewood House Fund under the guise of CLPGS and get this behemoth up and performing. I’d love to turn up with a stack of records and hear this beast at its best in the most perfect surroundings.
Attachments
Expert-All-Range-3.jpg
Expert-All-Range-5.jpg
Expert-All-Range-6.jpg
music-room-1.jpg
music-room-2.jpg
Expert-All-Range-12.jpg
Expert-All-Range-13.jpg

emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Expert All-Range at Harewood House

Post by emgcr »

Wonderful write-up Chunny and very many thanks for going to so much trouble. An extremely interesting tale and so good that the custodians have decided to display. Certainly it should be brought back into fully working condition.

I am a little confused in relation to your comments about the rear conduit which, to me, seems normal for Senior/All Range instruments although it does appear to be made from steel (or possibly cast iron ?) rather than aluminium. Here are a couple of shots of my pedestal Senior which is thought to be one of the earliest examples built in 1930---tone arm bearing flange stamp No.2. It would be interesting to inspect the Harewood equivalent in due course. The magnificent electric motor would suggest a far later date for the whole instrument wouldn't it unless an earlier motor was superceded ? Very difficult to know but my guess would be that motor "updating" has indeed taken place (post WW2 ?). A "forensic" inspection might produce a few clues ? I wonder if the Harewood records (please excuse the pun) might contain original invoices etc ?

I have only seen one All Range "in the flesh" but know of five including this one. Two are in Ireland and two in the Far East, one of which could be even larger than 36 inch diameter although it is impossible to be sure from the photo. Ian Maxted remembers seeing what was possibly a 54 inch diameter horn at Heathrow many years ago when such things were being snapped up by our Japanese friends.
Attachments
DSC08760.JPG
DSC09800.JPG

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

This is toppermost exciting and fascinating news! How wonderful that they got in touch with you Chunny, and thanks so much for sharing!

I really hope the officials can be convinced that the horn, at least, is at great risk of worsening the damage at present and would be so much safer when repaired! Also that representations from yourself and maybe other EMG/Expert enthusiasts can convince them how careful, correct and authentic most of us are in our approach to maintaining them in singing condition.

How interesting that Graham's early Senior has the same bracket - mine has none:
(click on photo to see it in its correct orientation!)
Attachments
IMG_4953.JPG
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Here are the examples I have come across in the public domain. I think all three are in the Far East. I had forgotten about the beautifully decorated example which could well be an All Range making six I know of together with the Harewood example and the two in Ireland. Whilst I have photos of the latter, their owner might not wish to see them publicised.
Attachments
Possible All Range..JPG
All Range, Japanese museum..JPG
All Range. 36 inch or possibly larger..JPG
Last edited by emgcr on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Maybe it was just the pedestal models which had the additional conduit support ? Most Senior table models I have seen also had none.
Last edited by emgcr on Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

emgcr wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:11 am Maybe it was just the pedestal models which had the additional conduit support ? Most table models I have seen also had none.
Sorry if I was pointing out the obvious, it does happen! 🤪

I notice also that the two pedestal models having the upper bracket lack the welded plate where the conduit exits the cabinet.
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

emgcr
Victor IV

Post by emgcr »

Orchorsol wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:14 am
I notice also that the two pedestal models having the upper bracket lack the welded plate where the conduit exits the cabinet.
Good point, although the Harewood example is not strictly a pedestal model ! Another thought could be that it was only the earlier examples which had the additional support further reinforcing the possibility that the Harewood unit started life in the mid nineteen-thirties with another motor ? More investigation needed and eternally fascinating............

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Alastair came to lunch today and we looked at this thread together.
His Senior does not have the additional conduit support, but it does have the diagonal brace rod on the horn.

leels1
Victor I

Post by leels1 »

This is an excellent machine. I’m very lucky that Harwood House is about 4 miles from my house.

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

emgcr wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:22 am
Orchorsol wrote: Sun Jul 17, 2022 10:14 am
Good point, although the Harewood example is not strictly a pedestal model ! Another thought could be that it was only the earlier examples which had the additional support further reinforcing the possibility that the Harewood unit started life in the mid nineteen-thirties with another motor ? More investigation needed and eternally fascinating............

I thought I'd chip in with a picture of mine, which doesn't have the additional support. It might be only the earlier examples which had it as you suggested Graham? The mystery deepens!

What a find Chunny! Incredible how such a beast lay in hiding all those years. It would be so grand to see it brought back to full working order and singing again.

Working or not, I will definitely make sure I stop by to see it in person next time I'm up that way!
Attachments
20220717_194133.jpg