Are electric motors suitable for gramophones still manufactured ?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
poodling around
Victor V

Are electric motors suitable for gramophones still manufactured ?

Post by poodling around »

I imagine that the motors in modern(ish) record players are not strong enough to pull a steel needle and heavy soundbox.

Does anyone know if new 'heavy duty' motors are still manufactured by anyone which are suitable for connecting to a gramophone turntable etc ?

anchorman
Victor II

Re: Are electric motors suitable for gramophones still manufactured ?

Post by anchorman »

I'm guessing you can probably find a nice vintage one for not too much money. I have some older heavy duty turntables that were used for radio stations, that I have considered adapting to acoustic arms and horns. by the time you fuss around adapting of new manufacture, you can probably find a good older machine that has a relatively powerful motor.

A machine such as a technics direct drive turntable can be had with a pretty powerful motor that stay dead on with the speed control, even with varying loads from the tone arm. but it's not going to look the part.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

I have a huge 1931 Grigsby-Grunow, out of a Majestic 100, out in the shed.

If you wanted to build a gramophone I would hunt up something of that type.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

poodling around wrote: Sun Jul 24, 2022 5:03 am Does anyone know if new 'heavy duty' motors are still manufactured by anyone which are suitable for connecting to a gramophone turntable etc ?
There are certainly geared electric motors which run in a suitable speed range and would be powerful enough. I built a rather crude proof of concept in the following video, but I think it shows the possibilities

https://youtu.be/gHzXjMcunrk

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

@mrrgstuff.... Your experiments are very funny and interesting... You never cease of surprising me...! :arrow: :clover:
Inigo

poodling around
Victor V

anchorman wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:03 pm I'm guessing you can probably find a nice vintage one for not too much money. I have some older heavy duty turntables that were used for radio stations, that I have considered adapting to acoustic arms and horns. by the time you fuss around adapting of new manufacture, you can probably find a good older machine that has a relatively powerful motor.

A machine such as a technics direct drive turntable can be had with a pretty powerful motor that stay dead on with the speed control, even with varying loads from the tone arm. but it's not going to look the part.
Very interesting about your ex-radio station heavy-duty turntables.

I do have an old electric Indian teak gramophone but the motor had been professionally reconditioned when I bought it so I feel 'happier' about using it.

I think a new motor would be something I would prefer for an art-deco floor standing gramophone I have.

Thanks - interesting stuff.

poodling around
Victor V

VanEpsFan1914 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 2:39 pm I have a huge 1931 Grigsby-Grunow, out of a Majestic 100, out in the shed.

If you wanted to build a gramophone I would hunt up something of that type.
Thanks very much for your advice.

I haven't heard of that model before so I will go some internet searching.

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Inigo wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:18 pm @mrrgstuff.... Your experiments are very funny and interesting... You never cease of surprising me...! :arrow: :clover:
I have built other electrically powered acoustic gramophones. I think the one in the following video is one of my favourites:
https://youtu.be/g9GjUZ0LV1I