Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
slammer
Victor O
Personal Text: I love the smell of Shellack in the morning

Hi everybody.

Post by slammer »

Just joined the forum, so I would like to say "hi!"
Now, you are probably asking "who is this guy, and what is he doing here?"
Well, recently my mother passed on and I managed to get her stash of Shellacs. I remember that she had a HMV 109, no idea why this gubbin of information has stuck with me, but it has. She must have given or thrown her HMV away many moons ago.
But I found one on Ebay Kleinanzeigen for 80 Euros. It was broken and the cabinet was in a right state, but I figured that I can fix it, so I did.
With a lot of help from the Gramophonewerkstatt in Munich, I have to mention.
So now I am proud owner of a HMV 109 gramophone and I love it.
Recently my daughter commented that she liked it, she was born a hundred years too late methinks.
So later this year she is getting married and I have gotten her a Dressola from the Dressola Sprachapperatenbau GmbH. Or the Dressola talking machine manufactures, in the good old days a gramophone builder from Berlin.
At the moment it is being restored and hopefully it will be a heirloom artifact that she cherishes and loves. Having said that, I love the Mighty Dressola too and am on the lookout for another one for myself.
By the way, did I mention that I am now addicted to Gramophones and Shellac.
Attachments
IMG_1299.jpg
IMG_1298.jpg
IMG_1291.jpg
IMG_1187.jpg
Last edited by slammer on Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Hi everybody.

Post by Inigo »

Very nice! And welcome to the forum. You'll find here lots of nice and wise people that will help you about anything gramophonic, and you'll enjoy a lot.
Your Dressola seems to have a tonearm and soundbox from the post-1925 era, which will play the mighty electrical recordings very well. Of course, it also depends on the horn, best of it has been designed as a long exponential type. You could remove the grill and show us the internal horn, just for curiosity.
The 109 is a small nice machine, also designed to play electrical 78s with the advantage of the exponential sound system, which you will notice play the records nicely, with full warm tone and great definition.
I see in your photos that you also seem to have a nice old radio... It looks as one of those EMG electrical units for an electrical record player...
Inigo

slammer
Victor O

Post by slammer »

Yeah, I´m hooked. Gramophones are my life now.
The wireless is a Murphy 104 bafflebord from 1946 and first introduced at the festival of Britain. We had one in the family for a loooooong time, but it vanished into history at some point.
But I found one, actually two in the UK that I brought back to Germany with me.
I am, by the way British, but I have lived in Germany for a long time..

slammer
Victor O

Post by slammer »

Yeah, I´m hooked. Gramophones are my life now.
The wireless is a Murphy 104 bafflebord from 1946 and first introduced at the festival of Britain. We had one in the family for a loooooong time, but it vanished into history at some point.
But I found one, actually two in the UK that I brought back to Germany with me.
I am, by the way British, but I have lived in Germany for a long time..