The elusive Columbia 206, in blue color

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

The elusive Columbia 206, in blue color

Post by nostalgia »

This portable showed up in an ad here recently, and I was quick..very quick.
Before buying it I thought it was black, but when now starting to clean it...we can see it is blue.
I upload some photos, since we ( at the time being) are still pretty short of photos in old threads here on the forum, and many probably have never seen this portable in detail.

Any suggestions on what do do ( and not to do) with the velour cover on the turntable? I don't know if sunshine has caused it to change color in a peculiar symmetrical shade....
I have earlier used Vanish spot remover on felt with success, but this looks more like the coloring has faded off to me, and a spot remover will not work. Also, there is always the danger of the
velour loosening from the turntable. Maybe I have to change it, somehow....
Attachments
Columbia 206.jpg
August 2022 270.jpg
August 2022 269.jpg
August 2022 267.jpg
August 2022 266.jpg
August 2022 265.jpg
August 2022 264.jpg

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: The elusive Columbia 206, in blue color

Post by alang »

Looks like the turntable might have been from an HVM and someone left the record carrier on top of it while displaying it open, thus leading to the fading in the uncovered area. I don't think you can do anything to change that as the actual color seems to have faded. Maybe over time find another turntable with consistent coloring? Otherwise, it's a conversation starter ;)

Nice find!
Andreas

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Replacement is the easiest option. Turntables can usually be found on UK eBay at reasonable prices.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 pm Replacement is the easiest option. Turntables can usually be found on UK eBay at reasonable prices.
That could prove to be a long search, as this turntable, with it's blue velvet mat, was exclusive to the 206, as was the record tray. It also means that the turntable could not have come from an HMV machine, as no HMV machines used a velvet mat.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Well, I was thinking the same really, that all HMV portables have felt and not velour. I have plenty of available HMV 102 turntables floating around here. I however did not know that the Columbia 206 originally was equipped with a record tray.
I find myself pondering on the idea if it would be possible to re color this velour mat. I have no experience in coloring clothes, but it could be an interesting test. The question is of course if a coloring of the mat would make the mat with an even color all over it, or not. I don't want to leave the mat as it is for sure. If someone has any experience with coloring cloothes or even coloring felt/velour it could of course be an interesting read.

I found this webpage, it tells about how to color velour, but it differs between cotton velour and polyester velour. I guess the velour used for Columbia portables must be cotton velour, or ?
https://www.ehow.com/how_8536146_dye-velour.html

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Without a doubt, I would leave the turntable covering alone. Anything you do to it will only alter it further, making it less original. Just put your favorite record on it :)

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

Jerry, you have convinced me, I am not into color clothing etc. I will leave the turntable as it is, BUT,,,since this is the same turntable as found on a HMV 102, and I have some spare ones of those, I will be on the look out for a fabric that matches the original, and if/when I find a fabric that is pretty close in appearance, I can swap the turntables.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Phono48 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:27 pm
epigramophone wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:59 pm Replacement is the easiest option. Turntables can usually be found on UK eBay at reasonable prices.
That could prove to be a long search, as this turntable, with it's blue velvet mat, was exclusive to the 206, as was the record tray. It also means that the turntable could not have come from an HMV machine, as no HMV machines used a velvet mat.

Barry
Since the 206 has an HMV pattern turntable, all that is required is a Columbia/Garrard turntable from which to remove the mat.
A second donor turntable mat could be used to recover a spare HMV record tray.

Phono48
Victor IV

Post by Phono48 »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:01 am
Since the 206 has an HMV pattern turntable, all that is required is a Columbia/Garrard turntable from which to remove the mat.
A second donor turntable mat could be used to recover a spare HMV record tray.
Sorry to disagree, but all the other Columbia/Garrard turntables that have blue velour mats also have the small plated ring in the centre, to stop the centre hole fraying. On the 206, the mat is stuck down, and the presence of that ring would prevent the circlip from sliding on. Removal of the ring would leave the hole too big, and rather unsightly.

Barry

nostalgia
Victor IV

Post by nostalgia »

I visited a fabric shop today, and they actually will in mid August get some velour ( not velvet) fabric that is very very close to the original, with the same vowen structure. I asked a female expert in the shop, and she told me the fabric is velour..and not velvet. I will get some of this fabric, and arrange for both a donor turntable, and a record tray, since I also got some of those lying around here. I will post some photos when I have it ready. For those who are curious about what motor is found inside the Columbia 206, it is a HMV 270 D motor.