German Machine

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
ts_13
Victor II

German Machine

Post by ts_13 »

Hello all,

I recently grabbed this German non marked Linstrom machine. I know I can miss things every know and then, but how does the turn table come off? Are there any tricks (small set screw, spindle screw etc). This is my first euro machine, so just making sure I am not missing something.
Attachments
german tag.jpg
german tag.jpg (46.09 KiB) Viewed 675 times
german 2.jpg
german 2.jpg (52.49 KiB) Viewed 675 times
german motor.jpg
german motor.jpg (12.2 KiB) Viewed 675 times
german phonograph.jpg
german phonograph.jpg (52.65 KiB) Viewed 675 times

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: German Machine

Post by nostalgia »

Congratulations with your Lindstrom horn model, a nice find :clover:
Some of these early Lindstrom machines have a spindle set screw, and when looking at the early turntable this might very well have one.
If you use a torch and look under the turntable you will be able to see this screw, if it is present. Loosening it with a screw driver, is then necessary to remove the turntable.
Apart from it, sometimes it is still often necessary to apply some gentle force, or even push some tools/wood parts under the turntable at different sides, to loosen it, but be careful since I can see there is a crack in the motor board.
Good luck.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

There is not a set screw under the table ( like some columbias). I will put some penetrating oil on the spindle (under the table) and see if it will release. I just do not want to pressure it when there might be a simple release hahaha.
Thank you for your response.

What years would you think this machine is from? I couldnt pass up that horn, I had not seen one painted like that before.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

I have a Beka machine whose turntable is a tight interference fit. When I need to remove it I grip the turntable on both sides and lift until the machine is almost clear of whatever it is standing on. I then get an assistant (usually my wife) to give the spindle a light tap with a mallet. That always works.

I have my doubts about the originality of the paintwork on your horn. Most peacock feather pattern horns (which yours is) had a single colour on the exterior and a gradation on the interior, as here :
Attachments
Caruso 90.JPG
Caruso 90.JPG (148.44 KiB) Viewed 630 times

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

epigramophone wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 10:04 am I have a Beka machine whose turntable is a tight interference fit. When I need to remove it I grip the turntable on both sides and lift until the machine is almost clear of whatever it is standing on. I then get an assistant (usually my wife) to give the spindle a light tap with a mallet. That always works.

I have my doubts about the originality of the paintwork on your horn. Most peacock feather pattern horns (which yours is) had a single colour on the exterior and a gradation on the interior, as here :
I had to do that with my vic v, so looks like I will revisit that technique thank you!

Most all the horns like that I have seen (only a few) are graduated color like yours. This one, if re painted was done a long time ago and well done. It shows its age. Either way it is pretty cool.

ts_13
Victor II

Post by ts_13 »

Where would one find a mainspring for this machine?