Lambertphone Imperial spring

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
soundgen
Victor V

Lambertphone Imperial spring

Post by soundgen »

Anyone know where a spring for a Lambertphone Imperial ( Excelsior Werke ?) spring can be obtained looks to be 16mm according to the Vulcan price guide
Attachments
IMG_20220906_195653.jpg
IMG_20220906_195806.jpg

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Lambertphone Imperial spring

Post by Inigo »

What a beauty!
Have you tried the German forum? I don't remember the address, but it must be elsewhere in this forum...
Found!
http://grammophon-platten.de/
Inigo

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Now you also need this. Unfortunately, it is my only "Lambert Imperial Record":
Attachments
Lambert_3a_ergebnis.jpg

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

You might try clock supply houses. I know of one in the US that provides mainsprings. You would need to know the dimensions of the mainspring and how it is attached to the barrel arbor and barrel wall. Here is a list: https://timesavers.com/files/mainsprings.pdf

You can start there. If not on the list, Timesavers may be able to manufacture one for you. But perhaps there is a supply house in the UK?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I don't know if this guy in the UK can help?

Tel. 01234 340829
Email jmw.bedford@ntlworld.com

I had a link to a UK clock spring supplier who from memory could manufacture springs to your specifications, but I can't seem to find it.
If I do I'll add it here too.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

I managed to find the clock supplier link I was referring to, but their section for gramophone/phonograph springs now appears to be empty, and I can no longer see a huge list of spring sizes they once had listed.
It may still be worthwhile contacting them though, in case they can put you in touch with another spring supplier or manufacturer.

https://www.m-p.co.uk/buttonpart.htm

Good luck in locating the spring you need.
It's a wonderful and unusual machine that certainly deserves to sing again.

Dulcetto
Victor II

Post by Dulcetto »

soundgen wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 1:08 pm Anyone know where a spring for a Lambertphone Imperial ( Excelsior Werke ?) spring can be obtained looks to be 16mm according to the Vulcan price guide
As your machine is the single - spring model , one avenue worth considering is to find another Excelsior phonograph of the same layout ( as they nearly always are ) in poor condition to donate the main spring . i would think that most single spring Excelsior models would use the same mainspring. I have seen many examples of Excelsior phonographs turn up over the years , often just the mechanisms , indeed I have had several examples myself, also often their reproducer carriages are made from pot metal and have partially disintegrated as a result , so therefore can be bought in at a modest price . The remains can always be sold on as spares as someone will want it for the mandrel , or other useful parts. I did have to replace one spring in my double - spring Excelsior phonograph and I'm sure from memory the spring is slightly thicker than a standard gramophone spring . I can't remember where i obtained the spring I required as it was some years ago now , I may well have fitted a gramophone spring as naturally in a double spring motor , it is not so critical , but I think you will certainly need a thick ( i.e stronger ) spring in your single spring model to give the required power . Regards

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

The UK link are the clocksmiths Meadows & Passmore. I've bought once from them aluminium diaphragms for Columbia gramophones... They used to have an extensive catalog of parts and springs, I had somewhere a printed copy of their catalog. Contact them, as maybe their able to help.
Inigo

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

gramophoneshane wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:42 am I managed to find the clock supplier link I was referring to, but their section for gramophone/phonograph springs now appears to be empty, and I can no longer see a huge list of spring sizes they once had listed.
It may still be worthwhile contacting them though, in case they can put you in touch with another spring supplier or manufacturer.

https://www.m-p.co.uk/buttonpart.htm

Good luck in locating the spring you need.
It's a wonderful and unusual machine that certainly deserves to sing again.
They used to buy their gramophone springs from me from stock i have made but haven't ordered for several years , except for Phonograph springs which I have never had made but used to purchase from Barry Williams of Phonoservice after he died the spare parts and springs were bought by Ken Priestly of Holmfirth antiques unfortunately all the parts were destroyed in a fire

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

That's disappointing to hear a fire destroyed the last of the Phonoservice inventory.
That was like Mt Olympus to me in the 1980's pre-internet days.

I guess as others have suggested, clock parts suppliers might be the best avenue to take, in both the UK and USA.
Probably wouldn't hurt to ask on a couple different clock collector forums either, in case someone has a suitable spring tucked away somewhere that is no longer readily available.
I suppose as long as the width and gauge is right, a longer spring can be shortened and the ends can be modified to suit your Imperial.