H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
neilmack
Victor II

Re: H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Post by neilmack »

Marco Gilardetti wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:03 am I should premise once again that I had simpathy for her and considered her an icon, but also stress out that after gramophoneshane's last post we're exactly back to my point. Politically speaking, she was supposed to take absolutely no position, and no position she has taken, even in the most worrying and controversial moments, when a single word from her could have changed everyhing. And then we've seen millions of people crying because she did such extraordinary things.

If the things she did were so extraordinary, I think it should be as easy as a primary school essay to list at least a dozen of them.

The replies I got so far are a count of the people and regiments who went to her funeral (not really addressing the question) and a thirteen lines promotional page about monarchy that lists more or less the same behaviours that also a responsible hotel concierge is expected to uphold in favour of the house that he represents.

No offense intended, but really, is that it?
It’s always valuable to learn from the constitutional practices of other countries. I’m sure we can all agree the United Kingdom has much to learn from a state which in the last century was fascist dictatorship for a generation, launched unprovoked invasions of Ethiopia, Yugoslavia, Albania, Greece and France, but is now so timid it allows EU officials to appoint its governments.

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

You're taking me for someone else. I did no mention of any past colonial adventure of any state in the world.

It's pitiful, though, to have to acknowledge that the only arguments that some subjects can think of in favour of a great personality as their queen Elizabeth II has been, are only aggressive retaliatory comments against other nations. If that's all she left in your hearts, then there's really something to meditate upon.

As a side note, Italy was NOT a republic during its colonialism and fascism. Vittorio Emanuele III di Savoia was king.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

One nice aspect of the monarchy, directly applicable to our hobby, is that the smallest record ever made industrially was done by HMV for a doll house gramophone of a royal baby, ancestor of QEII. I doubt very much that anyone would bother to make such unique toy for a baby prime minister.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Here is the gramophone from the same doll's house :

https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/tr ... gramophone

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

epigramophone wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:24 am Here is the gramophone from the same doll's house :

https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/tr ... gramophone
I've searched and searched, over the years, but have never spotted a video of the gramophone actually playing. I'd imagine nobody has ever thought to do this.

OrthoFan

edisonclassm
Victor II

Post by edisonclassm »

I was born the year she was crowned and looked upon her my entire life as a fine example to her people and the rest of the world for that matter. She always did what was best for the love of her country. A truly stellar human being! God rest her soul.

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Okay, I have read with great interest all that has been said, so far, on this thread.

However, It is blatantly obvious that no-one has addressed the obvious. The actual elephant in the room.

This, of course, is the alien reptile theory.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

What needs to be recognised above the issue of the power and authority of the Monarchy (or lack of) is the fact that the Queen was probably the world's greatest diplomat. Whatever side you're on with the Monarchy you have to understand that QE II did, at times, have to do some pretty unpleasant things in the name of promoting peace, for example, in Northern Ireland. No one on the Republican side really trusted the UK government to bring about lasting and worthwhile change until her Majesty was dispatched to N.I. and addressed the leaders on all sides in a sincere and heartfelt way, which even turned the heads of some of the most despicable people The Troubles ever gave birth to.

As a figurehead she was respected by billions of people worldwide. Thats not a bad achievement in itself.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

I am what is knowns as a British Indian. I have a contentious relationship with royalty being a leftover of the British Empire. My Great, great grandfather all the way to my father were all in the British military, fighting and even dying for the British. My father made sure I would not carry on that legacy by sending us to Scotland “for the best education in the world”.

For me the Queen was someone who oversaw the total breakup of the British Empire in a most peaceful, dignified and diplomatic way. Unlike her predecessors I can’t think of any violence or persecution attributed to her personally during her long reign. That is quite an achievement on its own and I totally agree that
the Queen was probably the world's greatest diplomat

The entire Royal establishment is an altogether different subject and I can see a lot of countries in the not too distant future becoming republics. It’s interesting to see Jacinda Ardern and Anthony Albanese, who are staunch republicans saying, that now is not the time to have this discussion. Respect.