H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: H.M.QUEEN ELIZABETH II 1926-2022.

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Steve wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:01 pm What needs to be recognised above the issue of the power and authority of the Monarchy (or lack of) is the fact that the Queen was probably the world's greatest diplomat. Whatever side you're on with the Monarchy you have to understand that QE II did, at times, have to do some pretty unpleasant things in the name of promoting peace, for example, in Northern Ireland. No one on the Republican side really trusted the UK government to bring about lasting and worthwhile change until her Majesty was dispatched to N.I. and addressed the leaders on all sides in a sincere and heartfelt way, which even turned the heads of some of the most despicable people The Troubles ever gave birth to.
Thank you for recalling this. In many foreign countries it had not been reported - or perhaps not reported clearly enough, or at least I failed to get it - that she had such a central role in the solution of the issues concerning Northern Ireland. :rose: I actually figured that she was supposed not to take actions even in this case.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

It has to be remembered that Prince Philip, the Queens husband was very close to his uncle Lord Louis Mountbatten, who was blown up by the IRA in 1979. It must have been excruciating for the Queen to meet with the leaders of the IRA in the name of peace. She did her duty and only she could have done that, saving countless lives in the process. A peace we should all now be working very hard to keep.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

During Prince Philip's Covid restricted funeral, a young female member of the massed bands fainted and was taken to a quiet room in Windsor Castle to recover. A few minutes later there was a knock on the door, and the Queen's Equerry appeared.
The Queen had seen the incident and wanted to know how the young lady was, and whether there was anything she needed. Despite her personal grief on that day, the Queen remained kind, selfless and noble in the truest sense of the word.
I dare to hope that her memory will encourage our broken nation to come together and celebrate the things that still unite us.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

An addendum....
Queen Elizabeth II Death Certificate.jpg
(From -- https://currently.att.yahoo.com/att/cm/ ... 02425.html )
Click image to increase to full size.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm just relieved the cause is recorded as "Old age" and not meeting the other Liz, whose take-over has been viewed by most of the workd as being almost toxic for the welfare and wealth of the nation.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Steve wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:40 pm I'm just relieved the cause is recorded as "Old age" and not meeting the other Liz, whose take-over has been viewed by most of the workd as being almost toxic for the welfare and wealth of the nation.
Bit odd as she was fine a couple of days before :o https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62880118