Understanding the HVM 102c Automatic Brake

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Lah Ca
Victor III

Understanding the HVM 102c Automatic Brake

Post by Lah Ca »

When I got my HVM 102c the automatic brake was working just fine.

Then I read the manual and tried to understand the automatic brake instructions by experimenting with the machine with reference to the manual, and the automatic brake stopped working properly.

No worries, though. I have it working again.

My current understanding of what the manual says is:

The brake mechanism cannot be set for each record (say as with my Aeolian Vocalian machine); it is a one size fits all appropriate records mechanism.

A) If the brake is set to the on position and a record of appropriate size and type with a spiral runout groove is being played, the brake will stop the platter at the end of the record.

B) If the brake is set to the on position and a record of appropriate size and type but without a runout groove is being played and you want to stop the platter manually using the automatic brake mechanism (rather than with the manual brake), you must pick the arm up and move it towards the left to trigger the automatic mechanism.

C) If a record of inappropriate size and type is being played, the automatic brake should be turned off and the manual brake should be used.

What happened is that I picked the arm up during play and moved it all the way left to the back of the machine and triggered the automatic brake in this manner, thinking I was following the instructions. Then the brake would never trip until the arm was moved all the way to the back of the machine. The trigger point seemed somehow to have become reset.

Through fiddling about and trial and error, I have the automatic brake working again (as I think it should). I will not experiment again (maybe). ;)

Am I correct in my understanding here?
Attachments
2022-09-14 05_59_04-Window.png
2022-09-14 05_59_04-Window.png (197.49 KiB) Viewed 428 times

Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Understanding the HVM 102c Automatic Brake

Post by Phono48 »

Lah Ca wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:28 am
Am I correct in my understanding here?
Yes, you are correct. I can't figure out what you did that made the autobrake mis-function, but if you have been fiddling with the autobrake it is easy to get the two levers that are attached to the base of the arm to fall into the wrong place between the fork that sticks out from under the turntable. The left hand lever on the arm must always be situated between the fork. If you mistakenly get the right hand lever between the fork, then the brake will only be actuated as the arm is approaching the back of the machine, but I guess you've worked that out by now!

Barry

Lah Ca
Victor III

Re: Understanding the HVM 102c Automatic Brake

Post by Lah Ca »

Phono48 wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:23 pm I can't figure out what you did that made the autobrake mis-function.
Barry
Neither can I. But it is working very reliably now.

Thank you for the confirmation.

Cheers.