Estophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: Estophone?

Post by Inigo »

Mike soundgen may confirm... But it looks to me as one of the Banús machines made from parts in Catalonia (Spain) in the 1970s-80s... Many things are suspicious, as the discussed U pipe connection between the tonearm and horn. Typical of Banús machines.
Inigo

mrrgstuff
Victor I

Post by mrrgstuff »

Steve wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 pm I see the seller has prematurely ended the auction "without bids" even though there were many and it was doing well. Why on earth do idiotic sellers do that? Its not fair to bidders or anyone really. But what do they gain from doing it?
It's possible they had no real intention of selling it but wanted a value for insurance purposes, or maybe to set the price for a local buyer.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

mrrgstuff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 pm
Steve wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:50 pm I see the seller has prematurely ended the auction "without bids" even though there were many and it was doing well. Why on earth do idiotic sellers do that? Its not fair to bidders or anyone really. But what do they gain from doing it?
It's possible they had no real intention of selling it but wanted a value for insurance purposes, or maybe to set the price for a local buyer.
I suspect that the seller was persuaded to end the listing by an offer too good to refuse. This happens all too frequently.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 3:43 am
mrrgstuff wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:31 pm
I suspect that the seller was persuaded to end the listing by an offer too good to refuse. This happens all too frequently.
Like the guy who accepted £90 for a 203! Its a foolish move as in my opinion you never know who else might have outbid the person making an offer. I always refuse offers if I have bids already as its unfair but also I take the view that any serious buyer will take part in the auction anyway

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

Hoodoo wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:25 pm With the reproducer so far inboard of the tone arm, it looks like it would have REALLY bad tracking!
looks almost unplayable :o

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

I believe it to be real.
I have an example in green.
The horn is cast iron and thus is very heavy.
There is another example in one of the Frabrizio/Paul books.
This is the third example and only one I have seen in brown, with the others being in green and yellow.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

GeorgeDixon wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:08 pm I believe it to be real.
This is the third example and only one I have seen in brown, with the others being in green and yellow.
It is real. I jokingly offered the seller 10,000 Euros for it AFTER the auction was pulled. Not surprisingly the seller hasn't responded.

soundgen
Victor V

Post by soundgen »

GeorgeDixon wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:08 pm I believe it to be real.
Be nice to see a picture of yours

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Totally agree, Steve! I was pondering about bidding, and the damn auction ends. Several people use the medium to advertise their wares with no intention to sell through eBay. Whenever they get offers to deal off eBay they do it and remove the bid. I suspect that these people also use it to feel the waters and check out in fora like this if their machine rates above the average.

GeorgeDixon
Victor I

Post by GeorgeDixon »

Here is one in Green.
Attachments
Estophone_2.jpg
Estophone_2.jpg (100.71 KiB) Viewed 422 times
Estophone_1.jpg
Estophone_1.jpg (117.33 KiB) Viewed 422 times