Estophone?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
CarlosV
Victor IV

Estophone?

Post by CarlosV »

On French eBay:
https://www.ebay.fr/itm/185594669716?ha ... R4zXv6nvYA

Genuine or fake? Cylindrical machines are always suspicious, but the horn assembly on this one looks authentic and unique. Has anyone ever heard of the brand Estophone? The seller has several machines for sale, some genuine but with replacement or missing parts like soundboxes, others dodgy ...

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Estophone?

Post by Steve »

I'd say this was completely genuine but I'm not an expert on the less well known continental machines. It looks the part to me but I'm not sure what you mean by cylindrical machines? The link points to a disc gramophone?

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

Steve wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:32 pm I'd say this was completely genuine but I'm not an expert on the less well known continental machines. It looks the part to me but I'm not sure what you mean by cylindrical machines? The link points to a disc gramophone?
I meant cylindrical in the shape of the machine body, Steve, like many modern crapophones. But I agree with you that it looks genuine.

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

CarlosV wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:20 pm
Steve wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:32 pm I'd say this was completely genuine but I'm not an expert on the less well known continental machines. It looks the part to me but I'm not sure what you mean by cylindrical machines? The link points to a disc gramophone?
I meant cylindrical in the shape of the machine body, Steve, like many modern crapophones. But I agree with you that it looks genuine.
It's a really nice machine actually. If it was over here I'd definitely be interested myself.

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

It's certainly interesting looking.
Capture.JPG
Capture2.JPG
Based on the design, it looks like it might sound pretty good.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

A neat way of extending the length of the acoustic passage, anticipating EMG by several years.
If it was in the UK and perhaps more reasonably priced I would be tempted.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Yes, that was both an interesting and different machine. Finally a cylindrical machine, that is not from "down there". :clover:

Hoodoo
Victor O

Post by Hoodoo »

With the reproducer so far inboard of the tone arm, it looks like it would have REALLY bad tracking!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

epigramophone wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:22 am A neat way of extending the length of the acoustic passage, anticipating EMG by several years.
If it was in the UK and perhaps more reasonably priced I would be tempted.

I think it's probably fairer to say "anticipating HMV by over a decade", as HMV introduced this kind of acoustic system before EMG but a good 12 years after the continental brands had already got there!

Steve
Victor VI

Post by Steve »

I see the seller has prematurely ended the auction "without bids" even though there were many and it was doing well. Why on earth do idiotic sellers do that? Its not fair to bidders or anyone really. But what do they gain from doing it?