A Perophone Pixie Grippa.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

A Perophone Pixie Grippa.

Post by epigramophone »

After breakfast I usually check my emails and saved eBay searches, most of which are gramophone related.
Yesterday morning up popped a Pixie Grippa on eBay just 30 minutes drive from my home. The all important auxiliary horn was present and the case appeared to be in good condition, including the lid transfers which are often damaged. The carrying handle, winding handle escutcheon and speed control knob were missing.

Portables form a large part of my machine collection and I had always wanted a Pixie Grippa, but more often than not the examples for sale lacked their auxiliary horns or were expensive. The starting price of this example was a modest £70 but I did not waste time bidding. Instead I hit the "Make Offer" button with £100 which was immediately accepted. I collected the machine the same afternoon and have already started work on it.

The pictures are from the eBay listing.
Attachments
pg1.jpg
pg2.jpg
pg3.jpg
pg3.jpg (224.68 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
pg4.jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Re: A Perophone Pixie Grippa.

Post by poodling around »

A very interesting design and well preserved.

Very good indeed.

Orchorsol
Victor IV

Post by Orchorsol »

Congratulations Roger, that's lovely. Please show us again when you've worked on it. I've always been attracted to these!
BCN thorn needles made to the original 1920s specifications: http://www.burmesecolourneedles.com

Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe4DNb ... TPE-zTAJGg?

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

It's a tiny marvel! Oh, and these instructions written in gothic lettering... Remind me of those Walt Disney films which start with a book reading a legend...
Inigo

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Very nice case. A great find and local!
In case you were unaware there should be a slotted recess at the rear of the motor board to house the winder and a needle tin.
Attachments
20221105_085518503.jpg
20221105_085500875.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

flying500 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:07 am Very nice case. A great find and local!
In case you were unaware there should be a slotted recess at the rear of the motor board to house the winder and a needle tin.
Thank you for pointing this out. I had no idea that there was a part missing there.
If it is easily removable could you please post pictures to enable me to make one.

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Of course I will.
I attach a picture of the compartment and will post the dimensions later this afternoon.
Are you also aware that the motorbaors should slide forward to facilitate the playing of 12" records?
An advertisment leaflet for the Australian distributors is also attached.
Attachments
20221105_115726579.jpg
20221105_120610075.jpg
20221105_120554153.jpg

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

My Pixie Grippa is unfortunately missing the printed paper instructions in the lid.
I do however have a Perophone needle tin advertising "The Grippa" portable gramophone, containing solo tone needles mellow tone (what a mouthful).

The machine that is pictured looks similar to the Pixie except it has no auxiliary horn.

Does anyone know if there was a tin picturing "The Pixie Grippa"?

Please excuse the poor quality photos taken with my poor quality phone.
Attachments
IMG_20221105_231247~2.jpg
IMG_20221105_231136~2.jpg

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Roger, all that's missing is a piece of wood 3 ½ inches long. ½ in. wide and 1 ⅜ in deep. The gap at the left hand end (for the needle tin) in 1 ½ in, leaving 13/16 at the right hand end.

Mine doesn't have a brake on the motor board; it is combined with the speed control, like an Edison Gem. Maybe this was troublesome, and that's why yours has a separate brake, though I wonder how the speed is controlled!

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

PS just realised I was looking at the wrong picture - it is Gramophoneshane's that has a turntable brake, and a separate speed control on the motor board, so presumably a different motor. There were various finishes available; mine is covered in red lizard-skin cloth, many are brown, I think think there's a calf skin one, and I know there is a pink leather one.