A Perophone Pixie Grippa.

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
flying500
Victor I

Re: A Perophone Pixie Grippa.

Post by flying500 »

The back section to house the winder handle and needle tin dimensions are as shown in the quick sketch attached.
It is screwd to the case as shown and constructed from 3mm ply and 13mm thick piece of wood.

Your combined spped and brake hopefully only missing the knurled threaded thumbscrew as used in older speed controllers ie HMV/Victor horn models.
There is a friction grommet (threaded) in the motor post adjacent to the brake that the thumbscrew passes through. This enables the dual action speed and the push/pull brake. I will find my example later and upload photos.
Attachments
20221105_161706791.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

Thank you gentlemen. I can now see that the two redundant holes in the back of the case take the fixing screws for the missing wooden panel which will be quite straightforward to make.
The combined brake and speed control is completely missing, but the motor runs at or near 78rpm. The turntable remains stationary while the motor is wound and a slight nudge starts it revolving. At the end of a record a light touch on the turntable stops it.
As well as giving the case a good clean and polish I have so far fitted a suitably old carrying handle and fabricated the missing metal channel which locates the right hand side of the motor board. We progress......

flying500
Victor I

Post by flying500 »

Detail of the combined speed/brake mechanism as yours appears to have been fitted with.
I hope that its helpful.
Attachments
20221105_182929822.jpg
20221105_183025940.jpg

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

flying500 wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:13 pm Detail of the combined speed/brake mechanism as yours appears to have been fitted with.
I hope that its helpful.
Thank you again. That is indeed very helpful.

Roger.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Orchorsol wrote: Sat Oct 29, 2022 7:13 pm Congratulations Roger, that's lovely. Please show us again when you've worked on it. I've always been attracted to these!
Project Pixie is nearing completion.

I cleaned the case with White Spirit before treating it with medium scratch cover polish.
I fitted a well worn carrying handle and a replacement winding handle escutcheon. The escutcheon looks too new and I will probably need to age it.
I made the missing right hand motor board guide from an aluminium pie dish.
I made and fitted the missing partition which stores the winding handle and needle tin.

That leaves the missing brake/speed control to be made. I am not able to machine this myself, but I know someone who can.
It is surprising that despite several parts being missing, the elusive auxiliary horn was present.
To show how small the machine is I have placed it on a 10 inch record cover. It plays surprisingly well.
My thanks to all who have helped with advice and information. Here are the results :
Attachments
IMG_3012.JPG
IMG_3013.JPG
IMG_3011.JPG
IMG_3010.JPG

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

It is looking so very good.

Indeed a 'Little Marvel' !

Well done indeed, if I may say.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Post by alang »

Very nicely done! It would have been a shame to leave such a beautiful little machine incomplete.

Andreas

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

Looks tremendous! Any chances to see a video of it when playing?
Inigo

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special

Post by epigramophone »

Inigo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:42 pm Looks tremendous! Any chances to see a video of it when playing?
Unfortunately I have neither the equipment nor a YouTube account to enable me to post videos.
Even up-market Harrods sold the Pixie Grippa. Perhaps their wealthy clientele bought them for the children.
Attachments
Image (2).jpg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

epigramophone wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:21 am
Inigo wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 3:42 pm Looks tremendous! Any chances to see a video of it when playing?
Unfortunately I have neither the equipment nor a YouTube account to enable me to post videos.
Even up-market Harrods sold the Pixie Grippa. Perhaps their wealthy clientele bought them for the children.
There is another one at auction, a slight variant perhaps.

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... 6500f1f3dd
Attachments
pix.jpg