Expert Senior combined radio

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
emgcr
Victor IV

Re: Expert Senior combined radio

Post by emgcr »

chunnybh wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:00 am
................It was delivered to my shipping company for crating and shipping in June. When I returned home, I was told by the shipping company I have used for decades, that they no longer do international shipping because of the state of Global Logistics.
From the other side of the world, I had to find another shipping company to arrange the shipping. I tried everything, impossible. Finally I found a removal company that would come collect the goods and pack, ship, deal with customs and deliver to me in Australia. Of course they couldn't deal with a crate so big so I had to pay again to have the goods uncrated.
I don't even want to think what the total cost was. It's still not here. They are telling me mid January, maybe!.
Gone are the days of easy shipping.
That's a pretty sorry tale Chunny and I feel for for you. Next time you might like to try Hedley's Group---details below :

Sega Chandrasekaran
T: +44 20 8965 8733
E: sega@HedleysGroup.com W: www.HedleysGroup.com

A: 3 St Leonards Road, London, NW10 6SX
LONDON I PARIS I NICE I NEW YORK

Sega is a very helpful guy and he has organised many successful trans-Atlantic EMG and Expert shippings for me. They will collect from your door, pack extremely well in London and then deliver to your door at the destination. Every transaction has been perfect with excellent timing and no breakages. They have never let me down in any way. My only slight query is whether they will go to Australia as I have not used them for that route but I think they are a worldwide organisation.

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

emgcr wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:22 am The other method used at the time does not seem to have been employed in this instance as the interposed moving coil would have been visible in the image and resulted in a higher horn position. It would also have been quite inconvenient to have to remove the moving coil to play records which may have a bearing upon the fact that these items are extremely rare---in fact, I have never seen one ! A loudspeaker does seem eminently sensible !
Orhophonic Credenzas are used in the same way to produce HI-FI sound in Japan.

In Japan, Credenzas used to be so expensive like US$10,000. Now they are available for around US$6,000.00.

They use Western Electric 555 field coil horn drivers, or similar ones. Basically the Credenza's horn design was created by Western Electric Company, a branch of Bell Company. I use my two Four-Door Credenzas to enjoy Western Electric HI-FI Stereo sound. I am very lucky to be able to afford them in a cheap price, US$100.00 to 600.00.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

-__
Last edited by Sidewinder on Fri Jan 06, 2023 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Sidewinder wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:41 pm
emgcr wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 6:01 pm Isn't that the one shown on page 69 in The E.M.G. story ?

If it is, then I think it is likely that there was an internal loudspeaker for the radio.
Similar to the one in the pic, but only record storage, no radio. (used to be in a bowling alley for most of its life!!!)
We might be talking cross purposes here but the one originally being discussed in this thread from Cape Town is in fact the one in the book and illustration. I saw it in person and although it started life as a "radiogram" the radio part had been gutted long ago and lost to posterity. IIRC it was also retro-fitted with a later Garrard electric motor / turntable.

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Hello Sidewinder,
What happened to the pic of the Expert with white horn?.
The cabinet looked familiar, I'm sure I had seen it before. Any chance of some more pics?.
Thanks

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

Watanabehi wrote: Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:27 pm
emgcr wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 2:22 am The other method used at the time does not seem to have been employed in this instance as the interposed moving coil would have been visible in the image and resulted in a higher horn position. It would also have been quite inconvenient to have to remove the moving coil to play records which may have a bearing upon the fact that these items are extremely rare---in fact, I have never seen one ! A loudspeaker does seem eminently sensible !
Orhophonic Credenzas are used in the same way to produce HI-FI sound in Japan.

In Japan, Credenzas used to be so expensive like US$10,000. Now they are available for around US$6,000.00.

They use Western Electric 555 field coil horn drivers, or similar ones. Basically the Credenza's horn design was created by Western Electric Company, a branch of Bell Company. I use my two Four-Door Credenzas to enjoy Western Electric HI-FI Stereo sound. I am very lucky to be able to afford them in a cheap price, US$100.00 to 600.00.
Here are some examples of using phonograph horn with compression horn drivers.
Attachments
IMG_0167.jpeg
IMG_0166.jpeg
IMG_0165.jpeg

chunnybh
Victor III
Personal Text: "If I had all the money I'd spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink." Vivian Stanshall

Post by chunnybh »

Well, it finally arrived here in Australia.
Structurally and performance wise, this Expert is just wonderful.
Cosmetically, It really is in a sad state. It's been through a flood, been dragged across the floor on it side and generally the poor thing has been abused.
I took the whole thing apart to ship it, so it was easy to clean and assemble it back to exactly how I bought it. I cleaned and reset the Garrard 201A motor (33 ⅓ and 78rpm) in fresh rubber mounts, re-wired it with a ground .
On first play it performed really well. Super quiet motor but the soundbox will need to be rebuilt.

A few notes:
  • There is no sign of a speaker ever having been mounted anywhere. I suspect there was an external speaker for the radio part
  • The motor is mounted on hardboard which is badly painted black. The tonearm has a raised plastic base to raise it to the same level as the hardboard
  • Under the hardboard is the original motor board which has been cut to hold a Garrard 301 turntable. Also looks like at some point there were two electric tonearms attached to the motor board
  • There are screw holes at the back which would have originally held a vent grill of some sort
  • There are vent holes also on the base. This again has been covered with hardboard. There are signs of mounting holes for an amplifier
  • Does anyone know what the two hooks on the top of the amp area may have held. Rectangular hooks wrapped in some tough woven material for insulation.
I normally only clean and service my gramophones but this one is in such a state, I am contemplating stripping it down to the wood. My main reservation is that there may be a whole range of shades and types of woods under the many layers of dark varnish. The veneer is awfully thin so the scratches may still be there. The lid stay screws have come through the lid veneer at some point.

Here are some pics:
Attachments
Expert Senior Radiogram (9).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (8).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (7).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (6).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (5).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (4).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (3).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (2).jpg
Expert Senior Radiogram (1).jpg

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

Great to see that machine again. It's been 16 years!

Ahmed
Victor I

Post by Ahmed »

Goodness Chunny, what a glorious sight! So glad to see it's made it to you safely

Watanabehi
Victor II

Post by Watanabehi »

chunnybh wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:17 am Well, it finally arrived here in Australia.
Structurally and performance wise, this Expert is just wonderful.
Cosmetically, It really is in a sad state. It's been through a flood, been dragged across the floor on it side and generally the poor thing has been abused.
I took the whole thing apart to ship it, so it was easy to clean and assemble it back to exactly how I bought it. I cleaned and reset the Garrard 201A motor (33 ⅓ and 78rpm) in fresh rubber mounts, re-wired it with a ground .
On first play it performed really well. Super quiet motor but the soundbox will need to be rebuilt.

A few notes:
  • There is no sign of a speaker ever having been mounted anywhere. I suspect there was an external speaker for the radio part
  • The motor is mounted on hardboard which is badly painted black. The tonearm has a raised plastic base to raise it to the same level as the hardboard
  • Under the hardboard is the original motor board which has been cut to hold a Garrard 301 turntable. Also looks like at some point there were two electric tonearms attached to the motor board
  • There are screw holes at the back which would have originally held a vent grill of some sort
  • There are vent holes also on the base. This again has been covered with hardboard. There are signs of mounting holes for an amplifier
  • Does anyone know what the two hooks on the top of the amp area may have held. Rectangular hooks wrapped in some tough woven material for insulation.
I normally only clean and service my gramophones but this one is in such a state, I am contemplating stripping it down to the wood. My main reservation is that there may be a whole range of shades and types of woods under the many layers of dark varnish. The veneer is awfully thin so the scratches may still be there. The lid stay screws have come through the lid veneer at some point.

Here are some pics:
Wonderful!! You can easily restore this marvelous instrument to the original condition, since you are an Expert for it.