HMV 5AB?

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

HMV 5AB?

Post by epigramophone »

From the front this soundbox, which sold recently on eBay with a number of HMV102 components, looks like a 5B.
Turn it over and "5AB" is clearly stamped on the backplate. I have never seen this before. Has anyone else?
Attachments
5AB f.jpg
5AB r.jpg

Marco Gilardetti
Victor IV
Personal Text: F. Depero, "Grammofono", 1923.

Re: HMV 5AB?

Post by Marco Gilardetti »

Personally, first time that I see one or that I read it mentioned. Interesting. :geek:

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Something tells me we need "Oedipus" for possibly solving this one...

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

I have never seen this before.

I assume that the 'marks' were usually stamped by machine (and not by hand) and that the lettering / numbers are the same size 'as usual' ?

Very interesting indeed.

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

I don't think these markings are 'stamped', but rather are in the die from which the backplate is cast. That means that there must be others with this peculiar marking, but I have never seen it, either. Possibly this is an early 5B, and the die was incorrectly marked with an added 'B' rather than a substituted one. Or it could have been deliberate, so that the backplate could have been used either for a 5A or a 5B during the transition. But that is speculation, and I don't know the answer!

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Post by Inigo »

In the few examples I do have, the 5a and 5b parts are interchangeable, and the only difference I've found are the diaphragm edge corrugations, and four special legs punched in the metal cover beside the four screws, as made to avoid the cover being pressed too deep on the front ring because of tight screwing. This example has both features.
Inigo

recordmaker
Victor I

Post by recordmaker »

is it possible that in the last years of production only one spare reproducer was available and this was designated AB as a universal replacement for either A or B reproducer?

Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Post by Steve »

I'm just waiting to find an "ABC" variant. Now, that would blow a few minds here! :lol:

No, I've never seen AB either. It must be extremely rare. I agree with Oedipus though. It might only be guesswork but it's as good a guess as any.