The Pigmy Grand added to the collection

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

The Pigmy Grand added to the collection

Post by nostalgia »

I came across this Pigmy Grand today, and well, even if having (too) many hornless HMV gramophones already, I could not resist it since it was the first hornless from HMV, and also the first Pigmy Grand I have seen for sale in my area during the last 4 years, when I really started to collect machines. Unfortunately the Exhibition sound box was lost, at least for the time being ( the seller said he would look for it, since it had been attached to the machine not to far ago in time). I fortunately have a Gramophone and Typewriter Exhibition at hand, so the problem will anyway be solved.
We can see it has been re motored, but to my eyes still with an early HMV single spring spiral drive, I found photos of this motor on page 261 in the HMG book. But, since the holes don't fit, I guess it originally had a different motor, but as long as it is a genuine early HMV motor, I am happy, really, even if it could be nice to know what motor originally was found in the machine.
I will myself try to upload photos when I can in the time to come, since we seem to be very short of photos on the forum now, at least I can't see many of the photos I uploaded to the forum in the past, and we all like to see photos, so well..here are my small contribution tonight, here of The Pigmy Grand (1909-1911, according to the HMG book).
Attachments
IMG20230124225610.jpg
IMG20230124225624.jpg
IMG20230124225701.jpg
IMG20230124225738.jpg
Last edited by nostalgia on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Inigo
Victor VI
Personal Text: Keep'em well oiled

Re: The Pigmy Grand added to the collection

Post by Inigo »

Nice! I've never seen one in the flesh... Congratulations on your find in that Gramophones land where you live...
It probably had originally one of the smaller motors of the same era...
Inigo

Oedipus
Victor II

Post by Oedipus »

Well, that is the right motor for a single-spring Pigmy Grand, and the spare holes don't look original, so I reckon someone in the past fitted a substitute motor, and then a correct one was found. But it was fitted with substitute governor weights, and a modified bar to the speed control - the latter indicates that this motor probably came out of a different model. The winder escutcheon is also not original, possibly devised to conceal an enlarged hole resulting from the previous wrong motor.

The PG was indeed introduced in 1909, but the |Nipper transfer on this one indicates that it is a later example, from 1910-11.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

Thank you Inigo for the greetings, and thank you Oedipus for the information about the motor.