Square HMV no.18 soundboxes !

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
Steve
Victor VI
Location: London, Paris, Amsterdam, Berlin, New York, Evesham

Re: Square HMV soundboxes ??

Post by Steve »

jamiegramo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm
Steve wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm Can someone just not ask the seller to send half decent photos of a few items in the lot? It'll be a lot easier (and potentially a lot less risky for the buyer) than simply speculating on what they might be here.
I agree! I think the bidding is likely to go high based on just these soundboxes so lets see a photo of the back of them.
Do you expect it to go high for these alone? In my experience a lot of collectors are a little shy of jumping into the unknown with rare items. I've met some collectors who have the view that if it isn't pictured in one of their "authoritative" handy bibles, it doesn't exist! :lol:

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I’ve written to the seller and asked for more photos which I will post up here if he responds. If anyone beats me to it I won’t need to.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Steve wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:19 pm
jamiegramo wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:11 pm
Steve wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:06 pm Can someone just not ask the seller to send half decent photos of a few items in the lot? It'll be a lot easier (and potentially a lot less risky for the buyer) than simply speculating on what they might be here.
I agree! I think the bidding is likely to go high based on just these soundboxes so lets see a photo of the back of them.
Do you expect it to go high for these alone? In my experience a lot of collectors are a little shy of jumping into the unknown with rare items. I've met some collectors who have the view that if it isn't pictured in one of their "authoritative" handy bibles, it doesn't exist! :lol:
I think some people love a gamble or take things at face value but what you say is mostly true.

In all fairness to the listing I was forgetting that there are a number of interesting early pick-ups and I know microphones are another matter... so the lot could go high without someone having a particularly interest in the soundboxes.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Here they are a rare HMV No.18 Soundbox.....
Attachments
66024DB0-BD58-4857-B9E3-2E98AB080CA7.jpeg
Last edited by jamiegramo on Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

The other is blank but the cast lettering looks authentic to me.
Attachments
E7724479-4E91-449E-9EBC-A05A74EEF887.jpeg
6AE1896E-7931-4B00-BC0E-BE4D6D51629A.jpeg

poodling around
Victor V

Post by poodling around »

Well, this thread has gone quiet lol !

So, basically, the HMV soundboxes are genuine, of great historical significance and may be the only two ever made or that now exist ????

Does that about sum it up ?

poodling around
Victor V

.......... or could they be something else ?????

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

I’m not sure if people are overwhelmed or underwhelmed... I can only say that I was a little surprised (gobsmacked infact) when I received the first picture...

poodling around
Victor V

jamiegramo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:41 pm I’m not sure if people are overwhelmed or underwhelmed... I can only say that I was a little surprised (gobsmacked infact) when I received the first picture...
Well, I had to google the meaning of 'gobsmacked' and saw that it means: Flabbergasted, speechless, overawed and utterly astounded.

I must admit I am much the same.

jamiegramo
Victor III

Post by jamiegramo »

Yes forgive the crude (and very British) slang. It seemed appropriate and your definition sums it up very well.

Answers sometimes pose more questions and I wonder what machine would have suited the look and indeed the colouring of these soundboxes. Is there a prototype machine now lost in time?

Perhaps a bronze finish tonearm like some of the cabinet models... not forgetting what they sound like?