DGAG horn machine, find of the year, already in February

Discussions on Talking Machines of British or European Manufacture
nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Re: DGAG horn machine, find of the year, already in February

Post by nostalgia »

Jamie and Oedipus, thank you both for your input.
I need to think what to do here..to repair the governor. As it looks to me one of the springs has been fastened to this bolt with a rivet/pin, and now both the spring has broken and the rivet is destroyed too. I guess the best way to do it is to keep the bolt that has been installed, and try to fasten a new rivet/ pin and spring where this broken spring has loosened. Will it work to use super glue to attach a new installed rivet/ pin that holds the spring, what do you think? Or do you suggest another way to try to fasten it, this is a very tiny area to work on...
I have an old DGAG floor gramophone with a possible similar motor, but I of course hesitate to sacrifice it to repair this governor...

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

nostalgia wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:56 pm I guess the best way to do it is to keep the bolt [nut] that has been installed, and try to fasten a new rivet/ pin and spring where this broken spring has loosened. Will it work to use super glue to attach a new installed rivet/ pin that holds the spring...
No. You need to find the right part. It shouldn't be that hard. Place a wanted ad on the Forum. Super glue will fix nothing.

nostalgia
Victor IV
Personal Text: Keep winding up

Post by nostalgia »

I admit not having checked the size of this part, comparing it to later HMV motors...I thought maybe this part was unique for this old motor. There are of course not easy to find old HMV motors from this early period. Maybe I first should compare with the same part on the HMV 32 motor, if they are the same size, I have plenty of those at hand...